No announcement yet.

TB 302 (dc only unit) Help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I leave the rings on the unit and stick the stone/emery cloth in to the unit and run the machine and clean the rings, or do I have to take them off and put on a lathe (hope not). The rings aren't gouged bad just... used.... Sorry for the basic questions Just that I am new to this maintenance stuff as now I am my own boss,
    Still haven't gotten a chance to test the CT1 or PC2, but I will update when I do
    thanks again

Comment

I have used the stone with it running I clamp visegrips on it to hold it. Just lightly it doesn't take much. The other guys know but I think it helps to seat new brushes.
      I don't know yet how to use the Emory cloth we'll wait on cruzier.

Comment

No reason to take out the brush holder with a fine grit emory.. Doing it this way for many years without a problem. I spray the cloth first with brake clean, this also helpps to remove any oils or other contaminates off the rings as well. I just reach in and do it with my hand. There is no fan there and swish back and forth a few times on each ring. Using a vice grip or stick is silly and somewhat more dangerous.
        Last edited by cruizer; 05-16-2014, 09:02 AM.

Comment

If a ring is gouged, I remove the brush holder and true it holding a exacto knife blade and with the tip I clean off the gouge edges, then meduim emory, then fine emory till the ring is smooth. Again zero reason to remove the rotor. This is done with the engine running

Comment

There a 3 type of comutator stone, and unless your near a motor rewind shop, its tough to get, white is for setting the brushes, now the brushes will set themselves, just takes a while and you'll have to put up with the whine till they do, in about 15 minutes of run time.

There is the brown, thats for cleaning the rings, and then there is the erasure type, kinda bendy and thats for fine lines. Really I only keep the white,

Comment

Thank you soo much for taking the time to explain the little steps to me. It has helped a lot. I will follow your steps.
              thank you.
              I will report soon about if I have a bad CT1 or PC2.
              thanks again

Comment

Cruz, The emery paper worked like a charm, it cleaned up my rings very nicely,
                Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                X