miller diesel shutting down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mccahilldozing View Post
    Does it have a continental Diesel engine? I had a similar problem with my trailblazer 55d. I had to take off the injector pump and have it rebuilt. Fixed the problem right away

Not quite the same as the unit is starting for 5 seconds, it all relates to the Murfy switch which is fizzled. Yours was likely do to you or someone else loosening off the check valves at the injector pump which is a no, no, on all injector pumps.

Comment

Would not run

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Not quite the same as the unit is starting for 5 seconds, it all relates to the Murfy switch which is fizzled. Yours was likely do to you or someone else loosening off the check valves at the injector pump which is a no, no, on all injector pumps.
      If the relief valve was removed and not assembled correctly, unit would fail to run at all, injection pump has to make a certain psi before injectors will open. I do agree the fuel pump is not receiving 12 volts from the Murphy system. Also since now it's not starting at all I would first bleed the fuel system, confirm the pump has good fuel flow, then troubleshoot, older diesels are the easiest to troubleshoot. Crank the engine watch the smoke stacks, no smoke =no fuel. Smoke means wrong timing or poor glow plugs, if your cranking it and getting smoke your fueling.
      Kevin
      Lincoln ranger 305g x2
      Ln25
      Miller spectrum 625
      Miller 30a spoolgun
      Wc115a
      Lincoln 210mp
      F550 imt service truck

Comment

Miller diesel won't start?

Ok guys here's the latest, but first let me thank you guys for your help and suggestions. I checked the murpy and think it's ok. The fuel injection solenoid is getting 12 volts from it and the other 2 wires connected to the murpy are also showing 12 volts. One wire is the gage/switch wire and the other one is labeled coil wire. Also I remove the solenoid from the injection pump and it is sucking the plunger in when the switch is energized, Once I re-installed the solenoid it started up the first time but was barely running, also like it was idled so low it couldn't get enough fuel. Now it's back to not starting at all, but is really close to starting. There is also white smoke coming out of the exhaust stack when trying to crank the engine. The fuel pump is definitely pumping as I can feel it and it is running and I loosened the fuel line at the filter before the injector pump and it was pressurized. Cruizer no one has fooled with the check valves on the injection pump and Tryagn5 how do I bleed the fuel system and check the injector pump to see if it is working properly?

Comment

Bleed injection pump

At the injection pump you will see the lines which run from the pump to the injectors, the injectors are mounted in the head, cracked the lines at the injectors, crank the engine at fuel speed you might have to wire open the throttle, I'm thinking u might have a stuck governor in the injection pump, basically it is stuck in the fuel off position or slightly near it. If you are not getting fuel spitting from the loosen injectors lines this is the case, and the pump will need to come out. Also if you are getting white smoke it would seem you are getting fuel, does this engine have glow plugs, be sure they work, little diesels rely on the glow plugs for starting, also post a picture of the injection pump, will be able to walk you through removing it.
          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
          Ln25
          Miller spectrum 625
          Miller 30a spoolgun
          Wc115a
          Lincoln 210mp
          F550 imt service truck

Comment

Miller diesel will not start?

Sorry so long getting back to you guys who have been so helpful, but I have a wife, need I say anything else. Today I cracked the fitting at the injector and tried starting the engine. I'm getting fuel at the injectors, a small stream running down the engine when I cracked the fitting slightly. I videoed trying to start the engine but I'm having problems uploading it, along with pictures of the fuel injector pump. As soon as I can get it uploaded I will post them, maybe that will help you guys in trouble shooting this problem. I appreciate all you guys comments and help. Thanks!

Comment

Miller Big 40 Diesel will not start?

Here's a video of my Miller diesel problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYXi...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Gotta hold the button on the murfy till oil pressure builds., try that, nice video!

Comment

2 types of murfys, 1 requires you to press the button in, till pressure builds, one requires a reset every time you start it. because when oil pressure drops, the button pops out, yours looks like the one you have to hold in
                  Last edited by cruizer; 05-22-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

miller diesel shutting down?

Also it will not start with out the injector nuts tight. The way I would finish bleeding injectors:
                    Have someone preheat, hold murfy switch in, crank engine wile you tighten each injector, should start after 2-3 injectors are tight. Tighten all injectors. If doesn't start, take another video & post

Comment

Bled injectors again, cracked each nut slightly while cranking and all dribbled fuel when slightly cracked. Also when trying to crank held murpy switch in, still doing the exact same thing as in my video. I replaced fuel pump with generic type electric fuel pump but it did the same thing. Sometimes when original fuel pump was on it would cut off after a minute or so of running when the switch was turned to the on position. Now it cuts off sometimes after a minute ands sometimes it will not cut off. I was thinking it may have a pressure switch that makes and cuts off the fuel pump> The generic fuel pump is rated at 6 psi max pressure, does anyone know what the original fuel pump discharge pressure should be? Just a though that maybe it's not getting enough fuel pressure to the injector pump?

Comment

Injector pump, makes the pressure not the electric pump, so won't matter if its a 3 psi or 20 psi. I still think its a screwed up murfy switch. try a jumper lead from the positive battery terminal to the top of that injector pump

Comment

Wrong..

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
                          Also it will not start with out the injector nuts tight. The way I would finish bleeding injectors:
                          Have someone preheat, hold murfy switch in, crank engine wile you tighten each injector, should start after 2-3 injectors are tight. Tighten all injectors. If doesn't start, take another video & post
                          The engine will start with the injectors line nuts loose. Let me see a video of the fuel spraying from the cracked injector nuts. It looks like a injection pump problem, as you are not getting smoke from the exhaust when it's cranking. Either the pump is stuck in the fuel off position, or the pump has failed.
                          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                          Ln25
                          Miller spectrum 625
                          Miller 30a spoolgun
                          Wc115a
                          Lincoln 210mp
                          F550 imt service truck

Comment

Also...

Try bleeding the unit with the fuel solenoid removed from the pump, this will guarantee it is not a stuck solenoid, also be sure the plunger is removed. If it still does not start and your sure you have good fuel supply to the injection pump, the pump is bad.
                            Kevin
                            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                            Ln25
                            Miller spectrum 625
                            Miller 30a spoolgun
                            Wc115a
                            Lincoln 210mp
                            F550 imt service truck

Comment

Cruizer I connected a jumper wire like you suggested from the battery to the fuel injector solenoid, still did the same thing. Tomorrow my granddaughter has a softball tournament and I have Church Sunday. In between games I'll try to video the injector nuts loose to show the fuel flow at the injectors, if not it will be Monday. Guys I really appreciate all your help and for not giving up on me. I have had this diesel welder since 2003 and have never had any problems up until this one, it got me stumped?

Comment

Oil should be spraying out, not dribbling out, something over 1000 psi. Your injector pump is the culprit here

Comment

Working...
                                X