No announcement yet.

HTP or Miller??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And who is going to fix it when it breaks. The trouble is that even if I do a warranty machine, they don't send the parts for me to repair, I have to pay for the part, return the part, and then they decide whether or not to pay me. So I don't bother with them or MK Products (affiliated with Lincoln). These are cheap throw away machines as far as I'm concerned.

Now all machines break at some point in thier life span, Millers are no different. Parts are much more simple to get, and they tend not to use OEM parts with the exception of boards, which can be repaired at virtually any circuit board repair center. HTP and others cannot, as components both are labled with OEM part #'s so they don't cross reference to anything + the redundancy of circuit paths is outrageous. Circuit diagrams are equally as stupid, making troubleshooting a lengthy process. Often its cheaper to throw them out and buy a new one.

And why would I drive an American made Toyota, fastest rusting POS vehicle out there, I do have a "made in Japan" Forlift. Probably lasts forever unlike its American made counterparts that have given my friends nothing but trouble. Looks identical but is totally different internally.
    Last edited by cruizer; 05-03-2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I'm remote from everything. Warranty repair of a Miller usually takes a week or so. Repair of an off brand might take a month. Meanwhile, I have to buy another machine while I wait. That would not be economical!
      Dynasty 280DX
      Bobcat 250
      MM252
      Spool gun
      Twentieth Century 295
      Twentieth Century 295 AC
      Marquette spot welder
      Smith torches

Comment

Toytoa's did have rust issues......over 10 years ago. You won't see that on the new vehicles. You won't see rusted brake lines etc either and they NEVER had reliability issues. Over the last ten years Dodge has been the worst as far as rot and Ford a close second. This is first hand experience, not hear say. Take not when you see them on the road. How many Dodge bumpers and beds do you see rotted out as well as Ford beds and cab corners.....this is on new vehicles. Don't get me started on the diesel junks.....having to pull the cab on the Ford to replace a small exhaust tube because the flex tube went bad in 2 years? Seriously? Or an EGR valve sticking on almost every 6 liter? Or replacing the front end after 20,000 miles. Sure, there are exceptions but I'd like you to send me all the pics of rusty Tundras you have seen. Being in Jersey where they use salt and calcium spray as well as brine I don't see ANY. I am partial to them, my s-10 blazer made it to 130,000 miles, my ford ranger(mazda?) made it to 160,00 before terminal engine damage occurred. I have had 9 Toyotas to date and with the exception of a clutch in my 06 Tacoma(taught the wife to drive stick on it), a TPS sensor on my Tacoma and a leaky gas cap on my 05 Corolla, all of them have gone 250,000 before I sold them. Sure, some domestics do that, rarely without a new tranny or major repair let alone the rotted brake lines and small failures that add up like window regulators, erg crap etc. Sorry for the rant, a little open minded input is helpful. HTP isn't the horrible company some make it out to be. Like I said previously.....research those guys that use their HTPs every day for production and you will see the results. It's nice having a miller repair facility close by but do I realistically get it repaired any quicker than UPSing my http back to the manufacturer if need be? By the way.....you will be hard pressed to find many if any HTP repair issues.Miller.....Lincoln, blah blah blah.....I own a Hobart 211MVP(Miller or ITW shall I say?) It's a great machine. I also owned Century which was a great machine. You know what machines you hear about going in for repair most often? Miller and Lincoln. Sure, Ford's are easy to get repaired but realistically the parts department is what makes Ford profitable. Do Millers and Lincolns really hold value like everyone says? Not so much more than HTP or other name brands I guess. I paid $1400 for my Diversion 165. I was able to sell it for $1000 after advertising for 2 months. 30% loss.....better than 50% loss I guess.....UNLESS you paid over double to begin with. As much as I love my Hobart and it welds great the very first thing I had to do was spend 2 hours on the phone with customer service figuring out that there was a plug inside that wasn't plugged in fully from the factory because the wiring harness is put in a hair "tight" as they said. Great customer service BUT why should I waste 2 hours of my time on the phone with a brand new machine.? Yea.....I just wrote a book, twisted some panties up etc BUT I tell it how it is. PS-I'd take a 1991 millermatic 250 over a millermatic 350 any day of the week......can't kill a dial arc hf.....shopmate 300 or any of the old transformers BUT this is an inverter world now and Lincoln and Miller lead the way with circuit board failures and they are not cheap. ........
        Originally posted by cruizer View Post
        And who is going to fix it when it breaks. The trouble is that even if I do a warranty machine, they don't send the parts for me to repair, I have to pay for the part, return the part, and then they decide whether or not to pay me. So I don't bother with them or MK Products (affiliated with Lincoln). These are cheap throw away machines as far as I'm concerned.

Now all machines break at some point in thier life span, Millers are no different. Parts are much more simple to get, and they tend not to use OEM parts with the exception of boards, which can be repaired at virtually any circuit board repair center. HTP and others cannot, as components both are labled with OEM part #'s so they don't cross reference to anything + the redundancy of circuit paths is outrageous. Circuit diagrams are equally as stupid, making troubleshooting a lengthy process. Often its cheaper to throw them out and buy a new one.

And why would I drive an American made Toyota, fastest rusting POS vehicle out there, I do have a "made in Japan" Forlift. Probably lasts forever unlike its American made counterparts that have given my friends nothing but trouble. Looks identical but is totally different internally.

Comment

Yee-HAW..!!!

I could hear that STEAM WHISTLE all the way up here...

BUT...

am still gonna keep my Dynasty 200DX, Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner & my Millermatics...

AND...

if I had it to do over again.. Guess What?? I would buy them again.. they have proven an excellent investment... and fine tools..

One must remember that I have had these for several years now.. and they were an upgrade/replacement for other BLUE equipment that I had owned and used even longer..
          NOT some recent decision or purchase....
          Last edited by H80N; 05-04-2014, 12:30 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
            I could hear that STEAM WHISTLE all the way up here...

BUT...

am still gonna keep my Dynasty 200DX, Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner & my Millermatics...

AND...

if I had it to do over again.. Guess What?? I would buy them again.. they have proven an excellent investment... and fine tools..

One must remember that I have had these for several years now.. and they were an upgrade/replacement for other BLUE equipment that I had owned and used even longer..
            NOT some recent decision or purchase....
            I totally resemble these remarks....
            And I would be happy to own a HTP 221. The problem being much of what has already been said here. It's too bad IMO that HTP hasn't taken the time to build up some kind of a dealer network when you consider how long they have been around.
            They have really limited themselves to the home shop welders.

As far as the statements about how certain people can out weld anyone on this forum...... I would take that back. Read the member list first. Good chance they already belong. There are HUNDREDS OF SERIOUS TRAINED PROFESSIONALS IN OUR MEMBERSHIP HERE, both old school and new school!
            Not to mention bragging for someone else on the Internet is even less reliable than hearing it firsthand on the Internet

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
              I totally resemble these remarks....
              And I would be happy to own a HTP 221. The problem being much of what has already been said here. It's too bad IMO that HTP hasn't taken the time to build up some kind of a dealer network when you consider how long they have been around.
              They have really limited themselves to the home shop welders.

As far as the statements about how certain people can out weld anyone on this forum...... I would take that back. Read the member list first. Good chance they already belong. There are HUNDREDS OF SERIOUS TRAINED PROFESSIONALS IN OUR MEMBERSHIP HERE, both old school and new school!
              Not to mention bragging for someone else on the Internet is even less reliable than hearing it firsthand on the Internet
              Many times we find that the cheaper tools are NOT the most cost effective in the long run..

The difference in initial cost ends up being insignificant over the thousands of hours of life of a tool like a welding machine..

More important are Performance and Reliability ....as well as the many factors surrounding the machine and the organization that supports it and it’s users..

For my money… Miller provides the machines and support that give the confidence to spend the required funds on equipment that I can rely on over the long haul…

A welding machine is a significant investment… so I would suggest careful consideration of ALL the factors before one leaps… there is a considerable difference between machines and the organizations that support them…

As far as the "Best Weldor" operator argument....

I see the work of many people.. some VERY talented.. some not so much....
              there is something to be learned from many of them.. much depends on your experience and viewpoint..

Isn't it wonderful that Miller has provided us with this forum that allows us exposure to it..??.

I know NOTHING about who is "BEST" but Two TIG Craftsmen that particularly impressed me with their skill are John Marcella & Chris Razor... not disparaging anybody else... these two just stood out to me..

Here are a few videos that you might enjoy…
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6BVMANvW0
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPgsXwgQkQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohuoWdZ7fW0
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aqMknf_0g
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5n9fHdGjM
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUr2hMIrDfo

Last edited by H80N; 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

Jersey welder said it the same way I'm looking at the situation. I just ain't paying 6 grand for a 200 amp set up. What u guys know about the everlast power pro 256s?? .

Comment

Originally posted by grant1991 View Post
                  Jersey welder said it the same way I'm looking at the situation. I just ain't paying 6 grand for a 200 amp set up. What u guys know about the everlast power pro 256s?? .
                  Might as well flush your money down the toilet... unsupported chinese junk..

if it needs service ... you might as well call it disposable

there have been several threads on neverlast...

Here is one..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...erlast-welders
                  Last edited by H80N; 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Haha

Comment

Here is another neverlast thread...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...light=everlast

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Everlasting Unknown

I don't know anything about Everlast, and I dare say neither does anyone else. If you Google "Everlast Power Pro 256" the name and location of the company don't even come up! I say that $1800 is a lot of money to lay down for a pig in a poke.

I'm no expert, but after one semester of TIG welding I've come to view it as something akin to watchmaking for the precision it demands.

Comment

I can tell you this from years of experience. I'm on my third 200DX, used a 300DX at one of my old jobs, own a 700, and have a 350 on "loan" at the moment. When I use other peoples machines that are not Dynasties........well I pretty much keep my opinions to myself. The difference is very noticable IMO

BTW.....6 GRAND? Who the heck pays that? Shop around. I piece all my stuff together and am much happier with what I have.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                          X