Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millermatic M-100 gun not firing, replacement or repair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic M-100 gun not firing, replacement or repair?

Hi guys, I dont post much but was hoping for some insight?

I have a Passport Plus (now discontinued) w/ the M-100 gun. Ive put several spools of wire through and countless hours. Ive noticed lately the gun wont fire, meaning when I go to start my weld it wont spark or feed?

I checked the ground cable connections and they look good. Are the M-100 guns prone to breaking or should I be concerned with the machine itself?

Looks like they sell a replacement trigger, which is what I suspect this might be?

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Also, if I do need to in fact get a new gun what are my options for my setup. NOTE: I do a lot of tight spaces welding, so a smaller nozzle is nice.

Cheers,

Pull the plug off from the machine and test for continuity through the trigger. Otherwise check the amphi connector at the machine for an good connection.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Did you contact Miller?
      Lincoln A/C 225
      Everlast PA200

Comment

Trigger wire off in gun...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I will check the continuity and gun connection.

I have not contacted Miller, it looks like the warranty on this has expired. My machine is 3+ years old now.

Any suggestions on what a good replacement gun would be. Keep in mind I would prefer a smaller nozzle design for tighter areas.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbellb View Post
            Thanks for the reply, I will check the continuity and gun connection.

I have not contacted Miller, it looks like the warranty on this has expired. My machine is 3+ years old now.

Any suggestions on what a good replacement gun would be. Keep in mind I would prefer a smaller nozzle design for tighter areas.
            You might want to try a gun from Praxair ( Prostar ) .
            I've been buying them lately & I'm very impressed.
            I really like the fact I can turn the neck 360 degrees when welding out of position !
            They run from 150 amps. to 400 amps.

Norm
            - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
            - LN - 25
            - Lincoln Ranger 8
            -DeWalt Compressor

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

So it turns out I have a M-10 gun, not the M-100. Red trigger.

Is the M-100 a upgrade from the M-10? Should I jump to a Bernard or Prostar? Budget wise Id like to keep in near $150?

Comment

Its a new part number for the same gun...Bob
                Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Just fix the gun and be done with it. You can often pull the trigger apart, then pull the micro switch apart and lightly sand the contact points. Otherwise a new trigger is about $20. Pull the connector at the welder and insert a bent paperclip into the terminals to jumper it and verify drive motor operation. Ohm out the trigger before you pull it all apart.

Comment

Is the M-100 a upgrade from the M-10? Should I jump to a Bernard or Prostar? Budget wise Id like to keep in near $150?
                    The Prostar guns I've bought , run about a dollar per amp. = 150 amp.... $150.

Norm
                    - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
                    - LN - 25
                    - Lincoln Ranger 8
                    -DeWalt Compressor

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

M10 and M100 are not the same

When I bought my MM-211 it came with a defective M100 gun. Actually it was just a defective liner and after a quick phone call Miller sent me a replacement liner. As soon as we determined that the M-100's liner was bad I pulled the gun off of my old MM-140, which was an M-10, and used it on the 211. So I had both guns side by side. They were really quite different. Most noticeable was the cable support at the welder end, which is a much more substantial unit on the M100. As I recall the M100 was notably more substantial just about everywhere I looked. For whatever its worth I see both guns for sale on EBay every day for around $100 in "like new" condition.

Comment

Working...
                      X