cracker box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracker box

I been weeding as a hobbyist on a Lincoln tombstone dc cracker box for thirty year, I wants good dc machine , electric 220 single phase, I have to buy used. Any suggestion. I already have miller mig and a miller tig unit.

cracker box

What's wrong with the tombstone? It sounds like you have all welding processes wrapped up. Are you trying to go blue with your stick unit or is the Lincoln lacking something that you desire in a machine?

Comment

Does your tig smaw? If so then there ya go.
      MillerMatic 251
      Maxstar 150 STH
      Cutmaster 42
      Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

I just wanted some more adjustability, the Lincoln is ok for welding just can't fine tune ampere

Comment

If the Linc is DC there is no real reason to change, you got one of the best they ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
            If the Linc is DC there is no real reason to change, you got one of the best they ever made.

I certainly agree. I've got an AC/DC Lincoln "Tombstone" welder that does a great job. I like stick welding for a change now and then. In fact, I bought the Tombstone so that I wouldn't have to fool with the cables and hoses on my Syncrowave 200 to change it over.
            Last edited by Synchroman; 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM.
            Miller Syncrowave 200
            Milermatic 252
            Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

You could get a cst280, they run rod pretty nice. Some hot start controls and infinite amperage control. Just get your wallet out!
              MillerMatic 251
              Maxstar 150 STH
              Cutmaster 42
              Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

I'd recommend an Everlast powerarc 200....

About $350.

I've never used one, but I here good things about them.

My 2cents.
                Life is to short for cheap tools.

Comment

The Lincoln if ac/dc is a great machine but if you feel the need for infinite adjustability then look for a Miller Thunderbolt ac/dc 225/150.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by AKweldshop View Post
                    I'd recommend an Everlast powerarc 200....

About $350.

I've never used one, but I here good things about them.

My 2cents.
                    And when it croaks... who are you going to get to repair it..??

Have to ship it to WHERE for service..??

do you really need a chinese doorstop...??

I if you want a REAL Quality AC/DC Stick machine in that price range...

a used Miller Dialarc can be found for the same money or less....has a superb arc... and it will still be plugging along for the next generation and beyond...

BTW... the Lincoln Tombstone is a fine machine... the Dialarc would be a step up...chinese would be a BIG step down...IMHO
                    Last edited by H80N; 04-07-2014, 07:06 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by brownbagg View Post
                      I just wanted some more adjustability, the Lincoln is ok for welding just can't fine tune ampere
                      I know what you mean by fine tuning. Being able to "tweak" it up or down 5 amps is nice.
                      Syncrowave 200
                      Millermatic 252
                      Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
                      Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
                      Maxstar 150 S
                      Miller Bobcat 250
                      Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                        And when it croaks... who are you going to get to repair it..??

Have to ship it to WHERE for service..??

do you really need a chinese doorstop...??

I if you want a REAL Quality AC/DC Stick machine in that price range...

a used Miller Dialarc can be found for the same money or less....has a superb arc... and it will still be plugging along for the next generation and beyond...

BTW... the Lincoln Tombstone is a fine machine... the Dialarc would be a step up...chinese would be a BIG step down...IMHO
                        Man I agree about the Everlast,those things are nothing but junk.

Comment

as with any man made machine, they wear out, if you just hobby weld, a miller thunderbolt is more than you need, just go buy one of them new, and get a brand new machine, youi will never need to buy another. as a hobbiest, running 7018x.125dia rod is most likely the largest rod you will ever need, and the tbolt can handle that all day long, even if you weld 1 inch thick plate, it can be easily done with a thunderbolt, given some rest periods for duty cycle, get a new miller and you will not regret it, forget all these import welders, twice as cheap, shelf life is pityful

Comment

cracker box

Brownbagg what do you plan to do with your tombstone if you end up purchasing another stick machine? I'm just curious as to what will be the outcome. I would have killed for a D/C model when I was a teenager. There is always someone wanting to get into welding and looking for a deal on a used unit.

Comment

Working...
                            X