bending back coupler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bending back coupler?

lent out trailer and now the bottom of the a frame coupler is scored and bent up a bit not allowing the tounge to fully seat. I was thinking some heat and a pry bar. What do you guys think?

I don't like to bend things back into place on a ball coupler. To me it's not worth it. I would replace it, even if it's a weld on. Just thinking of safety, if it came loose at 60mph..........

Comment

this is true... yes it is welded.. i got a quote for 200 plus part to have a new one welded on .

Comment

I work on trailers of all sorts and the one thing I never do, Is to try to repair a bent coupler, If that trailer comes loose from the tow vehicle and hits a family in a car coming the opposite way it could kill the whole family.

Put a new one on.

Comment

Don't listen to Frank, Replace the whole coupler, that way you know the parts are meant for that particular coupler frame.

I've seen too many people jury rig stuff that don't end up working like they thought.

Couplers are like brakes, You cannot afford for them not to work, Lives depend on it.

Comment

The coupler is what's between you and the trailer . Do you feel lucky ? REPLACE COMPLETE ASSEMBLY.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
              The coupler is what's between you and the trailer . Do you feel lucky ? REPLACE COMPLETE ASSEMBLY.
              And between the trailer and other traffic if it comes loose. I have seen all sorts of jury rigs on coupler's in my years of trailer building...Bob
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack188 View Post
                this is true... yes it is welded.. i got a quote for 200 plus part to have a new one welded on .
                $200 plus coupler? ouch. that's more than $ 200 an hour. im sure most will agree me here. if it takes them an hour to do the whole job, that was with a coffee break in between.

Comment

Why don't you weld one on? Pretty straightforward replacement.
                  MillerMatic 251
                  Maxstar 150 STH
                  Cutmaster 42
                  Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Cayager, I agree, usually about a 45 min job. It should be $ 60.00 plus coupler, but then you need to figure 15 min. when they drop the trailer off and 15 min. when they pick it up, So a $ 100.00 labor plus the coupler.

Elvis, Welding couplers on should be done by very competent welders, not a guy that uses a welder a couple times a year.

Comment

Looks like it is a 2 5/16 coupler that was towed with a 2" ball. It wears at the bas of the ball instead of on the ball itself. Call yourself lucky that you got your trailer back at all, and that it didnt kill someone. I would likely price it at $200 including parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder:319214
                        Cayager, I agree, usually about a 45 min job. It should be $ 60.00 plus coupler, but then you need to figure 15 min. when they drop the trailer off and 15 min. when they pick it up, So a $ 100.00 labor plus the coupler.

Elvis, Welding couplers on should be done by very competent welders, not a guy that uses a welder a couple times a year.
                        Yeah, I forget about how incompetent that people can be... there are plenty of welders I wouldn't want doing something like this...
                        MillerMatic 251
                        Maxstar 150 STH
                        Cutmaster 42
                        Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

Elvis, Over the years I have hired a few guys that say they know how to weld But...

This one 20 something kid showed up, I hired him, took him on a job, when he took it out, my foreman and I seen it was new and said( aht ohh )

He kept asking me if he should get the brazing torch out, I said no, just get the cutting torch out.

We then gave him a scrap pc. of plate to cut as we stood inside looking out through the window, we watched him put his welding helmet down to try to light the torch knowing that he couldn't see a thing, he didn't have a clue how to set the flame or that he had the wrong shield for a torch.

We watched him struggle for about 15 minutes and he finally gave up.

I love all the commercials and movies that constantly show someone with a welding mask on and a cutting torch in their hand.

Too all potential wanna bees, Welding and fabricating is not a trade that can be faked for very long.

Comment

Oh I don't know about that....I've been faking it for a very long time now!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

PW-

I get that. I run forestry equipment in the summer and they always send so joe over to fill in here and there. These guys don't know crap about running equipment. It ain't some little car that you just fill up with fuel, check the oil and go drive it around the woods!

I have gotten to the point where I am happy when these fill-ins know what a combination wrench or a grease gun is. Isn't that terrible? It is even better when they brag about how they can run anything but can't figure out a tracked masticator! It is basically an overgrown skidsteer with 2 joysticks and a couple buttons, more if you want to run the AC or listen to the radio...

I am not a pipeliner or anything like that, but when I can fabricate something I do it. I am not an idiot and I have the problem of assuming that everyone else is in the same boat. Turns out there are lots of idiots out there! And most of them are faking one thing or another.

I wouldn't hesitate to weld a new coupler on, but then I assume that someone asking on a welding forum should try it too. Whoops!
                              MillerMatic 251
                              Maxstar 150 STH
                              Cutmaster 42
                              Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

Working...
                              X