New Dynasty 280DX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dynasty 280DX

Fed Ex brought my new Dynasty 280DX today. The cooler is back ordered. A kid at Christmas I'm not very patient. I rigged it for house water, it was easy. The sound was sort of soothing hearing water trickle.....until I struck an arc! What an angry little bee! I had some salvaged 1/8x1" aluminum angle. Fusion welding, it looked great, right up until it cracked up the middle. I did better with filler. Haven't figured out how to change wave shapes yet. I'm tired. Off to bed.
    Dynasty 280DX
    Bobcat 250
    MM252
    Spool gun
    Twentieth Century 295
    Twentieth Century 295 AC
    Marquette spot welder
    Smith torches

Congratulations! I am a bit jealous. Now how about some pictures?
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Jealous me to, pics or it never existed... Enjoy it!

Tell us if the leap forward from the dialarc is proportional to the money involved please.

Comment

Originally posted by willie b View Post
        fed ex brought my new dynasty 280dx today. The cooler is back ordered. A kid at christmas i'm not very patient. I rigged it for house water, it was easy. The sound was sort of soothing hearing water trickle.....until i struck an arc! What an angry little bee! I had some salvaged 1/8x1" aluminum angle. Fusion welding, it looked great, right up until it cracked up the middle. I did better with filler. Haven't figured out how to change wave shapes yet. I'm tired. Off to bed.
        Good on You Willie..!!!

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Couldn't wait any longer for the 280

I bought the 200 DX last spring -- couldn't wait any longer for the 280, but sort of wish I did. It was a leap forward from my Syncrowave. The DX can weld almost anything without a lot of drama getting it set up and I hate to say it, can make a beginner advance a couple of notches up the profession.

I could use the extra grunt of the 280 at times, but most likely don't need the 350. Portability is a real nice extra too. I can throw it in the car or take along on the tractor and do a quick field weld if needed.

I will upgrade some day when time and money permit.

Congrats on the new machine and good luck. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Regards;

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post

Tell us if the leap forward from the dialarc is proportional to the money involved please.
            Early review: It does everything the Dialarc does. With less skill I make a better looking joint. As my limited professional welds are not graded on their beauty, it will never pay for itself. It will make me more willing to have the world view my work.
            Dynasty 280DX
            Bobcat 250
            MM252
            Spool gun
            Twentieth Century 295
            Twentieth Century 295 AC
            Marquette spot welder
            Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by pcbye View Post
              I bought the 200 DX last spring -- couldn't wait any longer for the 280, but sort of wish I did. It was a leap forward from my Syncrowave. The DX can weld almost anything without a lot of drama getting it set up and I hate to say it, can make a beginner advance a couple of notches up the profession.

I could use the extra grunt of the 280 at times, but most likely don't need the 350. Portability is a real nice extra too. I can throw it in the car or take along on the tractor and do a quick field weld if needed.

I will upgrade some day when time and money permit.

Congrats on the new machine and good luck. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Regards;

Peter
              I,m not convinced a TIG welder needs three hundred amps. I am convinced it needs an adequate duty cycle. If stick welding, at least in my case projects tend to be big, not so pretty. Even then 300 amps is rare. Even with the Dialarc it had a 200 amp stinger that was never overloaded.
              Dynasty 280DX
              Bobcat 250
              MM252
              Spool gun
              Twentieth Century 295
              Twentieth Century 295 AC
              Marquette spot welder
              Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post

A shameful extravagance. I plead no contest. If you aren't building airplanes, you don't need one. Tools have to make sense. Toys don't have to be as logical.
                The Dialarc is a **** of a machine at 1/5 the cost.
                Dynasty 280DX
                Bobcat 250
                MM252
                Spool gun
                Twentieth Century 295
                Twentieth Century 295 AC
                Marquette spot welder
                Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by Willie B View Post
                  I,m not convinced a TIG welder needs three hundred amps. I am convinced it needs an adequate duty cycle. If stick welding, at least in my case projects tend to be big, not so pretty. Even then 300 amps is rare. Even with the Dialarc it had a 200 amp stinger that was never overloaded.
                  Does this mean that I have to get rid of my Dynasty 350DX and do penance for my wretched excess??....

OK... back to the stone age....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                    Does this mean that I have to get rid of my Dynasty 350DX and do penance for my wretched excess??....

OK... back to the stone age....
                    Are you Catholic? If so you should feel guilt! As penance you must carefully box it up and send it to me. I'll take responsibility for it.

By the way, why didn't you tell me I wouldn't need to clean aluminum? That thing is amazing! I have 2 4' x 5' x 6" 4 drawer floor units I've carried in my van since 1995. The drawers are pretty beat up. I carry up to 100 lbs in each. The one I repaired tonight was as dirty as you'll see. The end where the handle is was partly torn off. I cleaned it as best I could with acetone, a carbide burr and brush in a drill motor. much of it is overlapped so I can't get in to clean. At 70% EN Advanced square wave with a pulse of 4 per, I think 50%high, 30% low it welded like a dream! Jody would have been proud of his student. Securing dividers, I ended up at 60% EN, with little effort at cleaning it welded fine. On 16 gauge I ended up with 3/32 ceriated it balled quite a bit, I could have gone to 1/8"
                    Dynasty 280DX
                    Bobcat 250
                    MM252
                    Spool gun
                    Twentieth Century 295
                    Twentieth Century 295 AC
                    Marquette spot welder
                    Smith torches

Comment

Are you Catholic? If so you should feel guilt! As penance you must carefully box it up and send it to me. I'll take responsibility for it.

By the way, why didn't you tell me I wouldn't need to clean aluminum? That thing is amazing! I have 2 4' x 5' x 6" 4 drawer floor units I've carried in my van since 1995. The drawers are pretty beat up. I carry up to 100 lbs in each. The one I repaired tonight was as dirty as you'll see. The end where the handle is was partly torn off. I cleaned it as best I could with acetone, a carbide burr and brush in a drill motor. much of it is overlapped so I can't get in to clean. At 70% EN Advanced square wave with a pulse of 4 per, I think 50%high, 30% low it welded like a dream! Jody would have been proud of his student. Securing dividers, I ended up at 60% EN, with little effort at cleaning it welded fine. On 16 gauge I ended up with 3/32 ceriated it balled quite a bit, I could have gone to 1/8"
                      Willie

Glad you are making friends with it...

that aint yer daddy's Dialarc HF...

Keep cleaning your aluminum...when you can.....

the beads will turn out prettier and more sound...

Cast aluminum will still have crud inclusions that will have to be dealt with... but the Dynasty deals with it better...

Here are a bunch of videos that you might find interesting...Especially the John Marcella & Chris Razor ones... they are mainly Dyn 350 but will give you more ideas as to how the Dyn 280DX works they are functionally the same..

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...marcella&sm=12
                      Last edited by H80N; 03-28-2014, 11:01 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Willie

Glad you are making friends with it...

that aint yer daddy's Dialarc HF...

Keep cleaning your aluminum...when you can.....

the beads will turn out prettier and more sound...

Cast aluminum will still have crud inclusions that will have to be dealt with... but the Dynasty deals with it better...

Here are a bunch ov videos that you might find interesting...Especially the John Marcella & Chris Razor ones... they are mainly Dyn 350 but will give you more ideas as to how the Dyn 280DX works they are functionally the same..

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...marcella&sm=12
                        Been watching them for some time. My desk has dried drool. I probably clean it now. Thanks for the advise.
                        Dynasty 280DX
                        Bobcat 250
                        MM252
                        Spool gun
                        Twentieth Century 295
                        Twentieth Century 295 AC
                        Marquette spot welder
                        Smith torches

Comment

For the second time in my life I've found love! My first love isn't even jealous, just confused. Doesn't it stick two pieces of metal together? Didn't your old one? Don't you have a garage full of welders? How would I describe a Jaguar XKE Roadster to a Pygmy who's never seen a car?
                          Dynasty 280DX
                          Bobcat 250
                          MM252
                          Spool gun
                          Twentieth Century 295
                          Twentieth Century 295 AC
                          Marquette spot welder
                          Smith torches

Comment

For the second time in my life I've found love! My first love isn't even jealous, just confused. Doesn't it stick two pieces of metal together? Didn't your old one? Don't you have a garage full of welders? How would I describe a Jaguar XKE Roadster to a Pygmy who's never seen a car?

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

My exact response!
                              Dynasty 280DX
                              Bobcat 250
                              MM252
                              Spool gun
                              Twentieth Century 295
                              Twentieth Century 295 AC
                              Marquette spot welder
                              Smith torches

Comment