arc gouging/air arc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arc gouging/air arc

Hey I'm new around here and find it very helpful. I was wandering what size welder you recommend for arc gouging

Any big non inverter stick machine...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Minimum 250 amp stick non inverter. These will handle 3/16" carbons which is about as small as you want to go. Not for heavy duty use though.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I have a bobcat 250 and some people say you can and others say you shouldn't so I was just wanting other opinions.

Comment

250 amps minimum. Small carbons.
          500 amps preferably and larger carbons.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig Miller Bluestar 2E Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Torchmate CNC table Ironworker Welder Operating engineer Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Comment

When gouging do not set the machine at 100% (wide open). Set it like 85% so it has some room to fluctuate while not going over max.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
            Syncrowave 250
            RCCS-14

Comment

arc gouging/air arc

A big rental one.

Comment

air arcing does not heart the machine!

Would people stop pushing the idea that air arcing hurts machines, i have air arced off every machine i have owned, and i air arc a lot. Also as for bad for invertors, my maxtron 450 i had for 10 years, i ran about 150 boxes of 1/4 carbons through it, never had a probelm. Simply use the machine within its duty cycle and gouge away, what is the difference between 250 amps running large wire or an air arc electrode, other than cv vs cc current.
                Kevin
                Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                Ln25
                Miller spectrum 625
                Miller 30a spoolgun
                Wc115a
                Lincoln 210mp
                F550 imt service truck

Comment

air arcing does not hurt the machine!

Would people stop pushing the idea that air arcing hurts machines, i have air arced off every machine i have owned, and i air arc a lot. Also as for bad for invertors, my maxtron 450 i had for 10 years, i ran about 150 boxes of 1/4 carbons through it, never had a probelm. Simply use the machine within its duty cycle and gouge away, what is the difference between 250 amps running large wire or an air arc electrode, other than cv vs cc current.
                  Kevin
                  Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                  Ln25
                  Miller spectrum 625
                  Miller 30a spoolgun
                  Wc115a
                  Lincoln 210mp
                  F550 imt service truck

Comment

Tryagn5, I totally agree with you, I'm trying to figure out why I'm not suppose to air arc off my 2001 Pipe Pro 304 or my Approximately 2003 XMT 304.

I run 1/4" carbons at 350 amps on a regular basis, ( A couple times a month )
                    without a problem.

Just like Tryagn5 said keep it within your duty cycle.

Comment

Tryagn5 -- I don't see anyone here that is saying air arcing is harmful to machines in general. Just giving advice. I was told by the service tech not to use inverters for cac. He even told me not to use a Syncrowave. As far as maxing it out that is something else that has been said a lot on this site as well as in the field.

I'm glad you are able to use yours as you do without any issues.
                      Last edited by MMW; 03-25-2014, 06:00 PM.
                      MM250
                      Trailblazer 250g
                      22a feeder
                      Lincoln ac/dc 225
                      Victor O/A
                      MM200 black face
                      Arco roto-phase model M
                      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                      Miller spectrum 875
                      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                      Syncrowave 250
                      RCCS-14

Comment

MMW, I probably will never air arc off my Dynasty 300DX, nor will I arc weld off of it, But that because I have other options.

Comment

I've arc aired with a few inverter power supplies. XMT 304, XMT 350, Invertec V350. No issues with any of them. Crank them wide open just don't exceed the duty cycle and you will have no problems.
                          Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig Miller Bluestar 2E Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Torchmate CNC table Ironworker Welder Operating engineer Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Comment

air arc and duty cycles

All good info here as others have posted, I would add that depending on how much gouging you are doing will dictate what you need machine wise. If your gouging using the small carbons, most machines will fit the bill without damage. A person has to be realistic though. a 300 to 400 amp machine will run 1/4 inch carbons without issue, if you are going bigger match power accordingly. If you still need more try paralleling two or more power sources. Usually the big guns like dimensions or goldstars 650 amp classwork good, but the big diesel engine drives work nice as well. Run minimum 4/0 cables and have good air (high CFM). Match your air arc stinger as well. Arc air k4000 will take a lot of power up to 1000 amps. if you still need more arcair has the tri-arc foundry torch that is rated for 1600 amps when you get to those carbons. I have run the 3/4 inch segmented carbons that lock together at around 1200 to 1400 amps. When you run that much juice its good to run tandem 4/0 cables or bigger MCM cables. Kind of neat to have got the experience doing this, you can plow through a lot of metal and the slag that comes off is like a volcano erupting!
                            I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

CAC = crap (HOT crap) flying everywhere and making a BUNCH of noise while doing it. Personally, I never liked CAC, but I guess it DOES have its uses. But me...given ANY kind of a choice, I will do about any kind of cutting in order to avoid CAC!!
                              Don J
                              Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Working...
                              X