Dial Arc HF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial Arc HF

I have an Dial arc hf welder and was wondering if there was any way to hook up a spool gun to weld aluminum. I have the tig leads but I need to weld alot of 1/4'' plate.

Originally posted by mlewis View Post
    I have an Dial arc hf welder and was wondering if there was any way to hook up a spool gun to weld aluminum. I have the tig leads but I need to weld alot of 1/4'' plate.
    The quick answer is NO... not a really good way...

optimally MIG wants a Constant Voltage power supply...

your Dialarc is a Constant Current supply

they do make voltage sensing feeders for use with CC supplies..but their performance is usually marginal for most applications.....

you might be able to get by on something as heavy as 1/4 aluminum plate...

but you are probably better of with a dedicated CV MIG supply and feeder or combination unit like a MM252 or MM350P

BTW.. there have been quite a few threads on this subject.. you might do a search..
    Last edited by H80N; 03-17-2014, 01:15 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
      The quick answer is NO... not a really good way...

optimally MIG wants a Constant Voltage power supply...

your Dialarc is a Constant Current supply

they do make voltage sensing feeders for use with CC supplies..but their performance is usually marginal for most applications.....

you might be able to get by on something as heavy as 1/4 aluminum plate...

but you are probably better of with a dedicated CV MIG supply and feeder or combination unit like a MM252 or MM350P

BTW.. there have been quite a few threads on this subject.. you might do a search..
      I would have said the TIG was the process of choice for this application, The Dialarc was a good choice of machines.
      Dynasty 280DX
      Bobcat 250
      MM252
      Spool gun
      Twentieth Century 295
      Twentieth Century 295 AC
      Marquette spot welder
      Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by Willie B View Post
        I would have said the TIG was the process of choice for this application, The Dialarc was a good choice of machines.
        No Argument...The Dialarc is a very good TIG & Stick machine...
        Last edited by H80N; 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
        X