Larger bottle for TIG or MIG?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger bottle for TIG or MIG?

I have been using a MM211 with 80CF 75/25 bottle for several years now. Works great and I'm about to try aluminum w/ the spoolgun soon so I need to get 100% argon bottle. I was thinking of getting a larger 120CF tank this time.

However, I also plan to get a small TIG eventually (not sure on the diverson/syncrowave/dyna$ty debate yet). So once I get a TIG would you guess I will use the MIG or the TIG more often? Should the larger tank be for the 75/25 or for the 100% argon?

I weld in spurts, sometimes I don't weld for a couple months, other times I weld every day for a few weeks, depending on the projects. Mostly automotive hobby projects, offroad 4x4 vehicles, drag racing, etc. Not sheetmetal work usually, more custom suspension and chassis work, etc.

Just trying to plan ahead, Thank you.
    MIG (75/25 or other mix)
    25.00%
    TIG (100% argon)
    75.00%

??????

Originally posted by folkenheath View Post
    I have been using a MM211 with 80CF 75/25 bottle for several years now. Works great and I'm about to try aluminum w/ the spoolgun soon so I need to get 100% argon bottle. I was thinking of getting a larger 120CF tank this time.

However, I also plan to get a small TIG eventually (not sure on the diverson/syncrowave/dyna$ty debate yet). So once I get a TIG would you guess I will use the MIG or the TIG more often? Should the larger tank be for the 75/25 or for the 100% argon?

I weld in spurts, sometimes I don't weld for a couple months, other times I weld every day for a few weeks, depending on the projects. Mostly automotive hobby projects, offroad 4x4 vehicles, drag racing, etc. Not sheetmetal work usually, more custom suspension and chassis work, etc.

Just trying to plan ahead, Thank you.
    not to be a jerk here but how the **** would we know what type of welding you would do more??? on the tank question. my feeling is if you dont need it to be portable, i get the biggest tank i can. better value. i think for a 300cf 75/25i pay around $70 . im sure a little dinky one would be at least half that price and you get a fraction of the product. just like anything in the world, the bigger you buy the better value. buy a grinding wheel pay $5 dollars. buy 200 at a time and get them for less than $2 dollars. but thats just me

Comment

a have a baby c25 , a baby tri-mix , and a big straight argon,

now ,
      -did you ever tigged before?

why want a tig machine now?

if you asked mean you havnt done tig much in your life...!?

every person is different,and thats why there is so much different machines out there!
      every machine got theirs pros/cons

no one can decide for you!

Comment

As mentioned we can't know which process you'll use more

BUT Tig uses more gas because of Pre-Flow and Post Flow

Most likely your supplier will swap out the gases if you find you need the 125 for C25 rather than Argon. You'll just lose the gas that was in the bottle when you exchange it before it is empty.
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

WISCONSIN ? Tha explains it . Kidding . Where you at in Wisconsin ? I get my cylinders from Advanced Welding near Greenfield , here's their craigs list post .

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tld/4349192348.html

If you look at their prices, there is not much price difference from a 80 to a 125
          I would go with a 125 or 150 for each.
          As stated tig will use more gas. The suppliers by me will not refill the 300 size big cylinders unless they are rented from them. 150's are the largest.

Comment

I find that the 120/150 size is the best comprise between filling often and portability. I weld for fun not for work. I do take jobs on the side to help with the new equipment fund. If an 80 works for mig it will probably do for tig too. If you find you are filling to much then go bigger. It is also worth buying multiples of the same gas so when you run out on Saturday you can switch out and keep going.

Really it all boils down to you... ya know?
            MillerMatic 251
            Maxstar 150 STH
            Cutmaster 42
            Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

I buy the big ones myself it's the best value.
              My big Argon has a Y and I run one hose to mig and one to Tig michine. One big bottle 2- machines.
              Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
                I buy the big ones myself it's the best value.
                My big Argon has a Y and I run one hose to mig and one to Tig michine. One big bottle 2- machines.
                Works for me.
                you mig weld with pure argon? or tig with 75/25?

Comment

i bought a diversion 165, i dont do much tig work, after my little bottle ran out, i went back to airgas and did a 1 yr lease on an argon bottle. it sucks paying lease fee,s but the price of gas more than makes up for it. it cost about the same to fill the 375 cu. ft. leased bottle as it does to get a refill on those small knee high bottles

Comment

Originally posted by cayager View Post
                    you mig weld with pure argon? or tig with 75/25?
                    Mig Alooominum
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

To ask that question. I would be hesitant to give advise.
                      Argon goes to spool gun (Alm.) and Tig Dynasty.
                      Run 85/15 on Mig 350P. (Steel)

Comment

I knew it may sound like a silly question but it was meant to me more of a general question, is TIG one of those things that once you have it you use it way more than you think, like ratcheting wrenches and flap discs?

I only gave more info because I figured a bunch of people would ask for more info, but I also guessed more info would just create a bunch of those "if you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't be doing it" types of posts. Oh well, can't keep everyone happy.

No I have not TIG'd before, but I've always been a DIY guy and I'm perfectly capable of applying common sense of when I should and shouldn't trust my welding skills to the project at hand. The reason I am considering TIG is for chrome-moly, stainless, and aluminum work.

Have you ever found yourself using TIG for mild steel when you could be using the MIG instead? That is what I have no idea on. I was planning on trading the C25 80 CF for a pure argon and buying a 125CF C25 tank since I currently weld steel more with MIG than I will aluminum. But down the road will I be thinking the opposite when the 100%A tank becomes the TIG tank?

Obviously no one can predict how I will use it, it is just a general question I thought I would get some opinions on. Thanks for the info I have gotten. It is good to know that TIG can use more gas than MIG from the pre and post flow, that I did not know.

BTW, from the pole I see the larger tank is the TIG tank for all 2/3 people...

Comment

That's how we learn, ask if we don't know.
                          The forum is mixed, some full time welders welding every day to feed them selfs others more hobby just for fun & extra income.
                          I had never Tig welded before I bought one. Done a lot of Oxy Acy welding along with stick & mig. Just bought one and went to practice, if u can gas weld u can Tig weld, just practice.
                          Yes I use mine on steel and SS also. There great for thin and precision work. I also do Blacksmith work and use Tig for most all that work. But everyday repair work is mostly Mig. and my field work is stick or wire feeder work. They all have there place. Tig is slow. Mig is fast. Stick is all weather anywhere anytime. They all hv there place.
                          We all learn from each other.

Comment

I systematically collect owner cylinders over time for cheep off Craigslist and have "large" ones for MIG and TIG, OA, etc.

Get them cheap enough and swap 'em out pronto, then enjoy over time. They don't lose value, and years down the road if you no longer want them you can sell them for a profit.

Comment

Depends on the project, rebuild a dump truck: no gas, flux core or stick. Aluminum drawer boxes for my van: argon. Overhaul a 1 ton dump trailer: steel mix. I have a very big leased bottle of each, and little bottles of each along with 75% helium. Owning little bottles makes me more portable, and I can lock them in a job box so I can leave them on the job. As I live 22 miles from my LWS, they aren't open on weekends, I'm not screwed when I run out.
                              Last edited by WillieB; 03-19-2014, 06:38 PM.
                              Dynasty 280DX
                              Bobcat 250
                              MM252
                              Spool gun
                              Twentieth Century 295
                              Twentieth Century 295 AC
                              Marquette spot welder
                              Smith torches

Comment

Working...
                              X