Mller 304xmt for a tig welder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mller 304xmt for a tig welder?

I have a miller 304 that I use for a second machine to run off of my vantage I have been turning down a lot of aluminum work lately because of not being equipped to do it. I would like to learn how to tig weld and I stopped by my local dealer and talked to them and they recommended me a the Hf- 251 and the tig torch Wp-1725-2 . They said it would cost just about $2000 to get me outfitted to tig weld. I asked them if they recommend me getting a stand alone machine that is designed to tig and they said the 304 is a great machine to tig off of? I just don't want to spend the $2000.00 and have to upgrade like I had to do with my engine drive after only 100 hours. I plan on doing mostly thin materials no larger then 3/8s in not looking for extreme beauty but I def want a nice looking finsh weld. .
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

You will need ac to aluminum tig, or a spool gun.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

I would get a stand alone gig and run it off the vantage. If you want to control the look of your beads to match your or an customers desired look I think you'll be much happier with an inverter tig ran off the vantage. I ran the HF starter off my trailblazer 302 doing aluminum and it works fine but I like my inverter machine so much better. Does a 304 have AC?

Comment

Originally posted by DSL Power View Post
        I would get a stand alone gig and run it off the vantage. If you want to control the look of your beads to match your or an customers desired look I think you'll be much happier with an inverter tig ran off the vantage. I ran the HF starter off my trailblazer 302 doing aluminum and it works fine but I like my inverter machine so much better. Does a 304 have AC?
        Xmt's are DC only

Comment

Yep. Your lws sure doesn't seem too helpful. If you need to tig aluminum a used ac/dc machine like the dynasty or diversion will be your best bet for portable machines.

Comment

likely airgas

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
            Yep. Your lws sure doesn't seem too helpful. If you need to tig aluminum a used ac/dc machine like the dynasty or diversion will be your best bet for portable machines.
            Sounds to me like the typical airgas store. Anyhow i have an xmt 304 and run a 30a spoolgun off it and it works great. Now most of my aluminum jobs were truck dump bodies, but i can do a nice job on 1/8 material.
            Kevin
            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
            Ln25
            Miller spectrum 625
            Miller 30a spoolgun
            Wc115a
            Lincoln 210mp
            F550 imt service truck

Comment

Working...
            X