Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XMT304 throwing breaker when switch is turned on. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found bad power module (SR1) by process of elimination. $60 ebay

Comment

Hello All, Just joined the forum and thought I'd comment on this. I've been a CST since 1997 (hence the handle) and work on every type of welding equipment. Challenging and rewarding at the same time. Enough of this.

The worst words a tech can hear is when the conversation starts, "I bought it at an auction." Most of the time it has been checked out and it was too costly or too complicated to repair. Not always, but 90%. I've actually seen the same machine 4 times. Yup, 4 different auctions.

I think the advice on this one is very good. Input diode pops and shorts the on/off switch. Or visa versa. Hopefully the power board, IGBT's and control board missed the power surge.

If I can help in any way I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Kinda sounds like we have the same problem. Let me know how yours works out. I have all my parts, but I have not had time to actually work on it. Will be a week or so before I get to it.

Comment

New switch and power module makes it turn on, but now I get help 6. (Low input voltage) Odd, my outlet reads 246 volts. Any suggestions?

Comment

Could T2 be a culprit???

Comment

Are the capacitors balanced?

Comment

R3 and R4 read open. I'm guessing that's my problem. My meter can't test C3 and C4 ( beyond my testing capacity) so I don't know if they are good or not, but they appear ok from the out side. The machine is a 2001, should I replace the caps anyways? C1 checks ok as do D1 and D2. Anything else I should check?

Ps This is not an 'auction machine' although I did buy it broken. (For real cheap) I enjoy learning how these machines work and how to fix them.

Comment

The only way to check if C3 and C4 are balanced is with the machine in CV mode, the power on and the covers off.

Comment

Gotcha

Comment

What would happen if C4 got installed backwards? By looking at PC2, Positive terminals of C3 and C4 should be closest to the furnas relays correct? I think C4 was installed the other way. Or am I wrong?

Comment

Never mind they are correct. Red dot on top.

Comment

Took Furnas contractors apart. They look good, gave them a little wire brushing and put machine back together. Input voltage at power module is 243 VAC. Voltage at C3 and C4 are the same at 310 VDC. Disconnected IGBTs at RC5, no change. Disconnected LEM, no change. Still have help-6. What do I do next?

Comment

Working...
                          X