jump starting with a bobcat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWDESIGNS View Post
    Not trying to get off the topic but If you were to weld to the frame of the welder, would it damage the battery or voltage regulator? I bought a Bobcat 225 lp welded a D ring on the handle at previous owners suggestion, used it a few times after with no issues, now it won't charge and I have jumped it with jump pack...what's the most likely culprit battery or vr? Some will say have the battery checked, yeah nice thought but its a real B*+#% to get to with the Lp bracket mount...
    Quite likely that you have blown the Voltage Regulator....
    They are VERY FRAGILE
    Typically they will charge when running... then drain overnite and have a flat battery after several hours...
    there is a Zener Diode buried in the epoxy potting of the Regulator Pak... that is the usual culprit... and it is non-repairable....

easy way to test is to disconnect the battery... charge it up.. and let it sit overnight or over weekend... then reconnect and see if it will spin the engine... if it still has the charge... likely the reg.... if it went flat while out of circuit... then probably the batt...

If it is the Battery... easiest answer is Wally World and pick up a "Group #58" battery in the automotive section...... for about $50..
    Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2014, 07:01 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Do Not Jump MILLER Engin Drives..

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Yes, you can jump start most anything, just turn your local control down, a volt meter would be handy! however don't jumpstart anything Miller, or Boards will blow.
      Do not Jumpstart either Bobcat or Trailblazer... nothing good will come from it
      Here is another thread on it

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-jump-starting

and from yet another thread on SFT

Originally posted by Shade Tree Welder
      Well I emailed Miller Electric and received the following response.

Thank you for your inquiry
      Miller Electric recommends you disconnect the battery. Charge the Battery
      and then reconnect the battery. Never jump start your Trailblazer, PC board
      damage is possible.
      If you would like to discuss this issue further please feel free to call us.
      PPG Service
      920-954-3972
      http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...t=superstition
      Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2014, 07:59 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 200

Comment

I'm going to ask again. If you jump start a bobcat from a truck battery and have the truck turned off seems like that would be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpack View Post
          I'm going to ask again. If you jump start a bobcat from a truck battery and have the truck turned off seems like that would be ok.
          I would not jump start it at all.....

not even if the moon was full and venus was in alignment... NO..!!
          Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2014, 07:57 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

I've jump started my Lincoln Ranger from my truck & I've jump started my truck from my Lincoln Ranger before with No apparent damage to either that I've ever noticed .
            ( Using booster cables - Battery to Battery )

Norm
            Last edited by nfinch86; 03-03-2014, 03:28 PM.
            sigpic
            Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
            - Spoolgun.
            - DeWalt Chop Saw .
            - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

What about using a battery tender or trickle charger? I don't necessarily use my bobcat everyday to stay charged up... sometimes a couple weeks between use...

Comment

Originally posted by JWDESIGNS View Post
                What about using a battery tender or trickle charger? I don't necessarily use my bobcat everyday to stay charged up... sometimes a couple weeks between use...
                Battery float charger/maintainers are a great idea....!!

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                  I would not jump start it at all.....

not even if the moon was full and venus was in alignment... NO..!!
                  if you are jumping battery to battery, wouldnt that really be the same as putting a battery in the machine?

Comment

Originally posted by cayager View Post
                    if you are jumping battery to battery, wouldnt that really be the same as putting a battery in the machine?
                    That's what I would think. But if the battery is bad instead of just down that could be a problem. The fellow that works on welders over here says its got to be a good strong battery to weld right.

Comment

Working...
                    X