Syncrowave 350 just quit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 350 just quit

Hi all, I am hoping someone may be able to help, I have an older 350 syncrowave TIG machine and now all runs but no arc, a very weak one is barely visible, foot pedal checks out, coolant is pumping to torch, all connections checked and tightened continuity checks done, does the same in AC, electrode positive or electrode negative, registers 72 volts on the front gauge, points reset, not sure what else except circuit board and I am not sure if that can be tested. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

OK, I'm a Miller CST tech. I go through the online tech manuals to find the problem and hopefully answer it quickly and correctly. Course that doesn't happen all then time.... Onan engines for example...

But I can't even start without the SERIAL number

Comment

Syncrowave 350 just quit

Serial number is KC214479 Thank you

Comment

Going to have to try it on stick. I think your conduit in your tig torch is pooched

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
          OK, I'm a Miller CST tech. I go through the online tech manuals to find the problem and hopefully answer it quickly and correctly. Course that doesn't happen all then time.... Onan engines for example...

But I can't even start without the SERIAL number
          How does one access online tech manuals?
          Dynasty 280DX
          Bobcat 250
          MM252
          Spool gun
          Twentieth Century 295
          Twentieth Century 295 AC
          Marquette spot welder
          Smith torches

Comment

Going to have to try it on stick. I think your conduit in your tig torch is pooched
            even when water is pumping to torch? Is that mean the torch is bad? sorry I am new to TIG and these machines,

Comment

Well yes, conduit tends to wear out, water flowing or not, torch will still wear out. I mean you have 72 volts when you hit the pedal of open circuit voltage and very little to no output. So test it in stick mode, that'll tell us right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie B View Post
                How does one access online tech manuals?
                Hmmm, you spend all your life fixing welders and spend literally thousands of dollars taking factory courses. Thats how you access tech manuals.

Comment

Well yes, conduit tends to wear out, water flowing or not, torch will still wear out. I mean you have 72 volts when you hit the pedal of open circuit voltage and very little to no output. So test it in stick mode, that'll tell us right away.
                  OK, now how do I do that? Thank you

Comment

He is saying to try to use the machine to stick weld. This will verify the power source is functioning properly.

Comment

The only leads I have plug into an older buzz box style, I guess I would have to cut off the end and find a ring lug large enough to bolt on. There is no plug style on this machine. Is there a way to test with a meter?

Comment

being stuck the way you are i would try my jumper (booster) cables with a 1/8 electrode just to see if it strikes an arc and can weld... but that just me, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                          being stuck the way you are i would try my jumper (booster) cables with a 1/8 electrode just to see if it strikes an arc and can weld... but that just me, good luck
                          Thank you, I will try that, I did not think of jumper cables in a pinch

Comment

Tried the jumper cable to welding lead, ran beads with 6011 rod in all three positions, much be torch, any good reccomendations on a new torch and where to buy? Thanks for all your help

Comment

Hmmm, you spend all your life fixing welders and spend literally thousands of dollars taking factory courses. Thats how you access tech manuals.
                              Does this mean those of us with older machines are out of luck? I'm guessing there are half dozen qualified technicians on this forum. That leaves 44 states and a bunch of other countries without any.
                              Last edited by WillieB; 02-16-2014, 06:48 PM.
                              Dynasty 280DX
                              Bobcat 250
                              MM252
                              Spool gun
                              Twentieth Century 295
                              Twentieth Century 295 AC
                              Marquette spot welder
                              Smith torches

Comment

Working...
                              X