Miller Dynasty 300DX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Sorry H80N, I didn't watch any of the videos but I cant believe there's any thing better than my Dynasty 300, You guys are acting like its an antique when its leaps and bounds better than a Synchrowave.

I'm also surprised that Cruizer acts like its a 25 year old machine when I just bought it new a couple years ago.
    ( Okay maybe 7 or so years but I have never had a problem with mine)

I hope Cruiser is slightly exaggerating on not being able to get parts because 7 years old is still a new machine when I hear Pipe line guys talking about the Lincolns from the 70's still being a valuable machine.

I had to go into a Ford plant this morning to weld on a Stainless steel leak test chamber, Where they use Helium to check plastic gas tanks for leaks.
    Guess what they had ( A Synchrowave 350 )

I However used my Miller STL150 to weld it up.
    Was not saying it was a terrible machine...I have used them and they weld nice... but I would tend to believe Cruizer if he says they have service issues... I hope yours runs forever and you never have to find out about parts availability....

Watch the videos..you will like em.. and.. the multiple waveform selection is a great addition..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
      Once you have tried one....

The Dynasty Lust tends to grow and fester until you break down and get your own....

They have different weld characteristics....

The Sync is head and shoulders above a sinwave machine like a Dialarc or 330...

and the Dynasty is Hans Solo's "Milenium Falcon" compared to the Syncrowave as "55 Chevy"...

The Sync is a great machine... but bet you will start to save for a Dyn in short order...

"Light Speed Chewey....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thank you! I've been analyzing the options. My Dialarc is a fine machine, and if I weren't aware of the Dynasty, I'd be OK with it. A naked Dynasty isn't so very expensive, but what would I do with a naked Dynasty. I'll hold out!
      Dynasty 280DX
      Bobcat 250
      MM252
      Spool gun
      Twentieth Century 295
      Twentieth Century 295 AC
      Marquette spot welder
      Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by Willie B View Post
        Thank you! I've been analyzing the options. My Dialarc is a fine machine, and if I weren't aware of the Dynasty, I'd be OK with it. A naked Dynasty isn't so very expensive, but what would I do with a naked Dynasty. I'll hold out!
        Food for thought....

you could always pick up a Weldcraft Legacy LS17 air cooled torch with the built in hand control..for about $250.... then your Dyn 200DX will no longer be Nekkid...
        Last edited by H80N; 03-01-2014, 05:01 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

H80N, Unfortunately I tend to believe Cruizer so I started checking prices for a new one and for what mine is worth.

I was surprised when I went to Ebay to only find 1 Dynasty 300DX for sale.

Looks like no one wants to get rid of theirs.

Comment

H80N, Unfortunately I tend to believe Cruizer so I started checking prices for a new one and for what mine is worth.

I was surprised when I went to Ebay to only find 1 Dynasty 300DX for sale.

Looks like no one wants to get rid of theirs.
            Maybe Cruizer could volunteer some tuneup tips to keep Dynasty 300 machines happy.... which boards to reseat, heatsinks, connectors to check/tighten etc....

he has given tuneup suggestions on the Dyn 200 in the past....

Yours sounds like it has given good service over many years....

hopefully there are some tips to keep it going for a long time more...
            Last edited by H80N; 03-02-2014, 09:03 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

Maybe Cruizer could volunteer some tuneup tips to keep Dynasty 300 machines happy.... which boards to reseat, heatsinks, connectors to check/tighten etc....

he has given tuneup suggestions on the Dyn 200 in the past....

Yours sounds like it has given good service over many years....

hopefully there are some tips to keep it going for a long time more...
              I've been studying everything I can find about the Dynasty machines. I know, I ridicule my best friend who buys many thousands of dollars of ski equipment convinced the next purchase will make him ski as well as me on my used equipment. I'm a hypocrite, I know it! I NEED a Dynasty. I'm worried a 200DX might not be enough, so I am leaning toward a 280DX. Then I check prices on a 350. Surprisingly, The 350 isn't much more cost than the 280! It seems to have more adjustments, more duty cycle, more power. Is it only more heavy than the 280?
              Dynasty 280DX
              Bobcat 250
              MM252
              Spool gun
              Twentieth Century 295
              Twentieth Century 295 AC
              Marquette spot welder
              Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by Willie B View Post
                I've been studying everything I can find about the Dynasty machines. I know, I ridicule my best friend who buys many thousands of dollars of ski equipment convinced the next purchase will make him ski as well as me on my used equipment. I'm a hypocrite, I know it! I NEED a Dynasty. I'm worried a 200DX might not be enough, so I am leaning toward a 280DX. Then I check prices on a 350. Surprisingly, The 350 isn't much more cost than the 280! It seems to have more adjustments, more duty cycle, more power. Is it only more heavy than the 280?
                I will admit to being prejudiced...
                BUT... if I could keep only one welder it would be my Dynasty 350 Tigrunner...

the Dyn 350 Tigrunner has been a shop only machine..(268lbs)

the Dyn 200DX gets dragged around..

The welders themselves are pretty portable... it is when you add the water cooler, cart and argon tank... they get awkward...

You may want to take a closer look at the weights of just the bare power supply..... it may give you a different perspective on portability..

here they are:

Dynasty 350DX 135lbs

Dynasty 300DX 110lbs

Dynasty 280DX 55lbs

Dynasty 200DX 48.5lbs

The current model in the top slot for portability is the Dynasty 280DX...

if that is more than you want to pay...

why not the Dynasty 200DX??... they are much more capable than the 200 amp rating suggests.. especially if you go to a Helium mix to gain more effective heat..

Somewhere here there is a thread where Shovelon welds 1/2 inch Aluminum plate with a Dynasty 200 from a few years back..
                Last edited by H80N; 03-06-2014, 06:18 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

We had a busy day in the shop today, one machine was air arcing, I was welding with the miller matic vintage and I needed a third welder for my other guy.

I have 8 welding machines and still came up short, time to by another mig.

Comment

We had a busy day in the shop today, one machine was air arcing, I was welding with the miller matic vintage and I needed a third welder for my other guy.

I have 8 welding machines and still came up short, time to by another mig.
                    MM350P..??

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC12-51.pdf

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Not a big poster, but must defend the 300!!

I have friends who have the 300 who never had and issue and I love my 300 and have never had an issue.

The weights tell the story, in my opinion. The 300 is closer to 330 in output - my SWAG, but when I weld thick, for me at .5 to .625 alum and have used my syncrowave 300 (40 yr old machine), the Dynasty 300DX and a syncrowave 350LX, they all weld the preheated material nicely Although the Syncrowave 300 has more pedal avail, far beyond its rated 300 amps.

It would be a hard decision if I could only keep one. Although the wife is badgering me lately, something about installing a floor....err

The 300 dynasty is a fine machine and with performance that appears beyond its rating, seems to be the deal.

Comment

It's been a few years since I have been on this fine forum, I have also had a Dynasty 300 with all the bells and knock on wood I haven't had a lick of problem with it, It sure was a nice upgrade from my sync 250's. I don't disagree that the 350 version has some nice upgrades but for me it wasn't worth making the switch Yet!

Comment

It's too soon to tell about life expectancy of the Dynasty 280 DX, about the performance I can say it's the best machine I'm aware of. I am curious about amplitude adjustment as in the 350 DX. What does that do?
                          Dynasty 280DX
                          Bobcat 250
                          MM252
                          Spool gun
                          Twentieth Century 295
                          Twentieth Century 295 AC
                          Marquette spot welder
                          Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by WillieB View Post
                            I think the 280 has a higher duty cycle than the 350. At least in the specs given by Miller ( I've checked them several times just to be sure because I couldn't believe it ). I am nervouse as to being made in the 200dx size, can it cool well enough to be dependable being that small? I believe in Miller's quality, but man, you've got to wonder. How about an Esab ( sorry Miller ) heliarc 281i. The duty cycle is 100% @ 250amps. I do not think it has the adjustments that are offered on the Dynasty's and only is 220V and heavier I think but GREAT PRICE as well.

Comment

-Yep the ESAB is ok, Cheaper, and likely works just as well, However, things break, its enevatible. ESAB parts have to come from Europe, so thats a month right there. warranty centers trained in repairing ESABS are few and far between Tech support is pretty much zero, and even if you do get through, the techs generally don't have a clue about much, other than what they had for lunch or the weather.

I'm a ESAB warranty tech, and hey while I spend lots of $$ in training, I rufuse to do an ESAB warranty. I hate the part waiting, I hate tech support ( I can remember last asking a technical question on a Subarc, they told me to read the owners manual) I had choice words for them shortly after they said that!

Say you brand new machine scews up and crashes in the first 20 hrs, Miller and Lincoln will replace it. ESAB, nope, and your down for quite along time. Many times the Big 2 will replace it it still in warranty. ESAB not a chance in ****.

Moral to the story, is to buy the Miller, as you will be much happier.

Comment

How about a Dynasty 300 for $500 that looks to be in good shape. Would love to buy a 200 new, but don't have the money to do so. I do have an old dialarc 250 hf machine that is giving me a lot of trouble and need to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                                X