Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

Welder: Miller Auto Set 180
    Gas: 75/25
    No flux on wire
    setting is 0.35 wire thickness for 3/16 steel tube.

My experience welding, not a lot.

When I am welding flat surfaces I weld a nice bead (atleast ok).

When I weld a 90 degree corner I cant get the dimes to stack. What am I doing wrong. Each time the weld is bunch up in the center

I have adjusted the gas pressure, feed rate and temp. But the corners all look bunched up in the middle.
    Attached Files

Well coyotebgone as this is your first post welcome to the forum.

Comment

Check out this site, info on how to achieve stack of dimes. Also do an advanced search on this forum with the title "stack of dimes".

http://www.profabricationtechniques....g/mig-welding/

Good luck, Ja

Comment

Post up some pictures to better help you.

Comment

it looks cold to me, but no being a 75/25 user, by choice, i will wait for guys with more hood time with that mix to give their enlighted opinion.

Are you pushing or pulling ?

Comment

Welcome. Drop down to .030 wire i think you will like it better...Bob

Comment

Yea I only use .030 and .023 in my 180. Your picture looks like you may be running cold, or too much wire. And possibly moving too quickly, which is probably a reasult of one of the first two.

Comment

The roughness of the weld bead along the toes (edges) of the weld is generally an indication of to high of a wire speed setting for the voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by coyotebgone View Post
                  Welder: Miller Auto Set 180
                  Gas: 75/25
                  No flux on wire
                  setting is 0.35 wire thickness for 3/16 steel tube.

My experience welding, not a lot.

When I am welding flat surfaces I weld a nice bead (atleast ok).

When I weld a 90 degree corner I cant get the dimes to stack. What am I doing wrong. Each time the weld is bunch up in the center

I have adjusted the gas pressure, feed rate and temp. But the corners all look bunched up in the middle.
                  With the Miller 180 you should be using .30 wire. If you are not changing settings before you round the corner, good. You are probably moving too fast. That would explain the flat welds on the sides, and the humped up weld on the top. If you are changing the settings-Don't!!! Set your machine based on the thickness of the material and your welding speed. Maintain a consistant puddle.

Comment

Looks like you tried welding the "bulging" weld vertical up? If so you need to watch a video or two on welding vertical up mig and then practice doing a bunch of them. I also wouldn't bother trying to get the "stack of dimes" look to your weld as you are welding with mig not tig. Just run straight welds without whipping, the only time you should be manipulating the weld puddle is if you are weaving.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.