Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to hook to welders together to air arc?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to hook to welders together to air arc?

I have heard that it is possible to hook 2 dc welders together to air arc does this work? Would it work to hook 2 xmt 350s together to air arc? would that be harmful to the machines? Would they be back feeding to each other? Thanks Jerry

Originally posted by still learn'n View Post
    I have heard that it is possible to hook 2 dc welders together to air arc does this work? Would it work to hook 2 xmt 350s together to air arc? would that be harmful to the machines? Would they be back feeding to each other? Thanks Jerry
    Miller has a booklet on paralleling power sources...

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/Paralleling.pdf

Comment

Welcome to the forum still learn'n.

Comment

not 100 percent sure but I would think 1 xmt 350 would burn a 1/4" rod? just don't turn it up to its max. maybe cruiser will chime in here.

Comment

air arc is VERY HARD on inverter machines. I would not do it very often with an XMT!

Comment

Why it is hard on inverters?

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
              Why it is hard on inverters?
              They heat up and the digital readout goes wacko and after a few minutes you seem like you are running on 1/2 the amps then where you started. Saw it everyday when the smart people where i used to work "scrapped" all of our old 500 amp transformer machines and went with cubes of inverters. They just would't cut it...Bob

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! We have done it off and on for a while now and havnt noticed any problems! We only have single phase power so that is why I was wondering about hooking 2 together. Sorry for the ignorance but what would be the biggest transformer style machine that would be able to run on single phase? thanks for the replies! Jerry

Comment

See you only want to turn your local control to 3/4 while gouging. You'll still get full output but the boards in the machine need to know whats going on. And yes if you do overload the machine output will drop in half. This is to protect the machine from nuking itself. This applys to ALL machines while gouging or running too heavy, be it transformer or inverter based.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.