Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynasty 200 DX - Convince me!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dynasty 200 DX - Convince me!

    I'm considering a TIG welder in the 200 to 250A range.

    The Dynasty 200 DX fits that bill, but at more than twice the price of other TIG welders with the same features, I need convincing by those telling me why from a technical point of view, the Dynasty is better made.

    First of all, where (in detail) is the welder made? I'm not talking about the discreet components because they have been made off-shore by all major electronics manufacturers for ages. I'm talking about the boards, the transformers...the major components. Miller was vague on this in an e-mail to me the other week.

    Where is the foot pedal made? In another manufacturer's forum, some members have had issues with belts coming off the cog on their foot pedal. I mean, its a simple low tech item like a foot pedal...how can it not work reliably? Even as a hobbyist not making my living with my equipment, I do not have any patience for tools that do not work....they get flung through the garage door opening at warp speed.

    So convince me. I'd like to hear from owners who use this welder on a daily basis at work. I already have an expert welder who uses a Dynasty 700 on a daily basis where I used to work giving me tips. He also pointed out Everlast and Longevity welders to me, so that has me wondering.

  • #2
    Originally posted by In My Garage View Post
    I'm considering a TIG welder in the 200 to 250A range.

    The Dynasty 200 DX fits that bill, but at more than twice the price of other TIG welders with the same features, I need convincing by those telling me why from a technical point of view, the Dynasty is better made.

    First of all, where (in detail) is the welder made? I'm not talking about the discreet components because they have been made off-shore by all major electronics manufacturers for ages. I'm talking about the boards, the transformers...the major components. Miller was vague on this in an e-mail to me the other week.

    Where is the foot pedal made? In another manufacturer's forum, some members have had issues with belts coming off the cog on their foot pedal. I mean, its a simple low tech item like a foot pedal...how can it not work reliably? Even as a hobbyist not making my living with my equipment, I do not have any patience for tools that do not work....they get flung through the garage door opening at warp speed.

    So convince me. I'd like to hear from owners who use this welder on a daily basis at work. I already have an expert welder who uses a Dynasty 700 on a daily basis where I used to work giving me tips. He also pointed out Everlast and Longevity welders to me, so that has me wondering.
    A Zillion threads on this over the last 10 or so years...

    do some searching and be prepared for a LOT of reading ...
    you shall find your answer...

    The Dynasties are the finest TIG machines I have ever used and are continually evolving and improving..

    long term track record means a lot to those of us who depend on our tools..

    and yes... quality costs more.. not only the build quality and technology of the machine but the quality of the organization that stands behind it and support network as well

    whether it is worth it for you is a question that only you can answer

    quality tools can be a substantial investment..

    BTW... they are built in Appleton, Wisconson...

    Last edited by H80N; 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by H80N View Post
      quality tools can be a substantial investment..
      I know. I have been using a very expensive name brand set of mechanics hand tools since 1975 (and I do not make a living with them as a hobbyist)...no names because I do not want to start a this is better than that debate. No regrets!

      I will search and see what I come up with. The trouble is, most are very hesitant to post anything negative (although factual) on forums.

      Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by H80N View Post
        BTW... they are built in Appleton, Wisconson...
        So are my mechanics hand tools...well at least head office is in Wisconsin.

        That is what Miller related to me although they did say some of their items are off shore. As mentioned, they were vague.

        Appleton...know it well having been to the EAA Fly-In in Oshkosh many times.

        Comment


        • #5
          One other thing that you might take into consideration is resale value...

          even if you never plan on selling.. used prices are a pretty good indicator as to how something may be regarded...

          used Dynasty 200DX TIG machines hold their value very well... with several year old machines regularly bringing near new prices and substantially more than new offshore brands..

          must be some reason for that...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re the foot pedal, I bought an SSC pedal (for my Dynasty) after reading lots of forum posts suggesting they're hard to beat. Made in USA.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by In My Garage View Post
              I know. I have been using a very expensive name brand set of mechanics hand tools since 1975 (and I do not make a living with them as a hobbyist)...no names because I do not want to start a this is better than that debate. No regrets!

              I will search and see what I come up with. The trouble is, most are very hesitant to post anything negative (although factual) on forums.

              Thanks!
              Ive found just the opposite. For every one positive post - there are 10 complaining. Very few spend time expressing their happiness with a product

              Comment


              • #8
                Although I have not used the Everlasting Longevitidal machines, I have used Linclone and ThermalArc inverter tigs that use the same Euro interface and let me tell you the Dynasty 200DX is simple. In fact the default parameters and Blue Lightning settings are all but spot on. The clearance effect that the Chinese stuff uses is still a mystery to me. Actually yes I did weld once with a Longevitude at SoCal Weld-O-Rama, that lasted about 5 minutes before the start circuit failed.
                Couple that with the unrivaled support I get from Miller and my LWS. Mail-Order Mayhem is not something I relish with my production equipment.

                My personal Dynasty200DX is mounted to a dolly that I can load in my Subaru Truck myself, and when unloaded wheel into a hospital elevator and do SS repair on any floor plugged into house-current. I can also weld light Alum. I have been in clean rooms, restaurants, defense plants, and other places that require portable welding. Then plug into 230 volts at work, or my generator at home and weld full tilt.

                A simple push of the polarity button gets you either to AC or DC, and since it has last use memory, you don't have to reset the thing every time you power it up. Did I forget to mention Blue Lightning arc start with tungsten size for choice of start force, pre-programed for you in advance for your welding pleasure????

                Comment


                • #9
                  Use one for five minutes. You'll take it home with you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by In My Garage View Post
                    I know. I have been using a very expensive name brand set of mechanics hand tools since 1975 (and I do not make a living with them as a hobbyist)...no names because I do not want to start a this is better than that debate. No regrets!

                    I will search and see what I come up with. The trouble is, most are very hesitant to post anything negative (although factual) on forums.

                    Thanks!
                    i'll post negative things about any brand that has problems. The 200DX really has none. There are minor preventative maintainance things that have to be done though, but that applys to all machines. A comparision would be the Miller 200 dx or the Thermal arc (Tweco) 201

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dynasty 200. Welcome to the site

                      Yes, the Miller home office is in Appleton, Wi
                      It has about a million sq ft of manufacturing.
                      There are also a number of manufacturing business units surrounding the Appleton area. The TIG products are in a town called Greenville, next to Appleton and that is where the Dynasty products are made.
                      Miller has its own circuit card design and assembly area at the main facility in Appleton.
                      The foot controls are also made in Appleton and they do use a clogged belt/gear driven potentiometer. And as you stated, it is a simple design and yes it is reliable.
                      Out of the 800 Motorsports machines I'm responsible for, foot pedals are the least of my concerns. I can say I've never had one just "jump" a cog or fall off!!?? If you've ever taken one apart, you'd see it's about impossible to fall off since its under spring tension and the clogged gear has a shoulder on it.
                      My biggest problem with foot pedals is people dropping crap on the cables and cutting the wires.
                      I have seen some potentiometers wear out over a long time of heavy use but those are easy to replace. You'll have that with any type potentiometer from any manufacturer.
                      Another design feature unique to the Dynasty 200 is the inverter engine.
                      Our engine is a universal design that works on any input power variation from 100V to 600V single or 3 phase. Other manufacturer's only work in certain voltage ranges like 120 V or 230V but not anywhere in between. So if you are using a 230 V input, if the power drops below 200, or whatever their "tolerance" is, your out of luck.
                      The Dynasty will run on anything.
                      I've even ran it on a generator that was running out of gas and the engine was hunting all over the place.
                      You also asked about transformers...
                      Since this is an inverter, there are no typical transformers. This is an electronic power conversion process. The transformers are extremely small and built with a special Litz wire. They don't fail.
                      Miller does make it's own transformers for welders AND rotors/staters for engine driven products.
                      Hope this helps you decide.
                      Ultimately, I hope you get to try one. You know what opinions are like

                      A-

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Dynasty 200DX

                        Originally posted by kize View Post
                        Ive found just the opposite. For every one positive post - there are 10 complaining. Very few spend time expressing their happiness with a product
                        This is the same old things about planes, some people say planes are unsafe....

                        That's only be cause you only hear about the one that crashed, not the 100,000 that flew fine.............

                        I bought 2 200's a few years ago, and just love them, had a invertec 205 which is the direct one to the miller(well as close to the same) and it's not a bad machine but the miller is just higher on the scale.

                        I took a tour of the Miller plant in Appleton from Andy and what a place just awesome, so I asked why miller had so many more inverters over the red, simply put: Miller owns the patents to the inverter technology.

                        Sone of the tests they put on these machines before you get them is pretty hard on them, to get one that does not do what it should is not very likely.

                        If ya ever get a chance to see it, it's worth it.....

                        Railmen

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          rigorous testing hmmmmm

                          Hey Railmen,

                          while you did the plant tour, did any of the guides mention specific industrial models like the dynasty/maxstar 300 series or the aerowave models?

                          Maxstar300lx

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Buy once cry once!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Plant tour

                              Originally posted by maxstar300LX View Post
                              Hey Railmen,

                              while you did the plant tour, did any of the guides mention specific industrial models like the dynasty/maxstar 300 series or the aerowave models?

                              Maxstar300lx
                              Hummmmmmm, never really asked about anything certain, but did see CST280's right off the line, hook up, power up, turn wide open 280 amps for 1hr straight if it's going to break I think that is where it will happen

                              Railmen

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.