Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

tired thunderbolt

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tired thunderbolt

lately i have had to skip the conveinience of using my 225/150 ac dc stick welder which is at the table, to go and unroll the leads on the dialarc 250, i use the buzz box on little/small work. problem is that each time a scratch a rod, it will or want to stick. mostly with the 3/32 size, up into the higher heat range for 1/8 it is ok. the machine is about 15 years old, this is a new issue with this welder, it has worked fine since i bought it. i have good leads, good connections on both leads, good power supply, i have cleaned the inside and adjusted it as instructed by the manual. is the old girl getting tired or am i missing something else, that i can do to help her out. thanks

Originally posted by kevin View Post
    problem is that each time a scratch a rod, it will or want to stick. mostly with the 3/32 size, up into the higher heat range for 1/8 it is ok
    So your electrode holder is in good shape too? Mine was doing the same thing until i noticed the holder was wore a little causing the rod to move a little and wanting to stick. A fresh holder cured the problem...Bob

Comment

hmmmm, thats the only thing that is in some what, lousy condition, its the original, clamp type, i had a twisty on it but moved it to another welder. i wonder why, it makes good contact, mayby its all burnt up inside the metal, causing execessive resistance

Comment

here goes a big thank you to bob, for suggesting changing out the stinger. the stinger that i was using was the original clamp type, it is in ok condition, the brass inserts in the clamp are in need of maintainance, but they are solid and tight, i assumed that this stinger should weld good, it didnt, i know this because, i put on an old bernard twister, 300a rated, this stinger is rough, the brass is good but the insulation is aweful, after putting it on and electrical tapeing it together, i noticed that the sticking rod delima has dissapeared, thank you bob for the heads up

Comment

And today I learned something from someone elses question. Thanks.

Comment

you will learn alot if you chose to stay here and get involved

Comment

glad you found the issue,I have an old national farm and shop ac/dc, thunderbolt in a red skin,was national welders house brand,bought it in 84 and have used and abused since with no problems.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.