Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

having problems with my gas flow on an xrs controller.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having problems with my gas flow on an xrs controller.

The machine will feed wire and flow gas. But after a second of holding the trigger the gas stops. I have switched leads and regulator, still does not flow gas constantly. I have reason to believe its the motherboard. Anyone have experience repairing welding machines?

Originally posted by Tmccub530 View Post
    The machine will feed wire and flow gas. But after a second of holding the trigger the gas stops. I have switched leads and regulator, still does not flow gas constantly. I have reason to believe its the motherboard. Anyone have experience repairing welding machines?

Thats a second of welding, or just holding the trigger, cause gas will shut off if your just holding the trigger and not welding.

Comment

I test it on scrap aluminum and cleaned with acetone and the weld looks dirty when welding. You can tell its not washing ahead of the puddle. I then continued to test the regulator and leads. Still dirty. After testing it while welding a few times i just held the trigger and you can hear it stop the flow of gas. I swapped controllers and im running again just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmccub530 View Post
        I test it on scrap aluminum and cleaned with acetone and the weld looks dirty when welding. You can tell its not washing ahead of the puddle. I then continued to test the regulator and leads. Still dirty. After testing it while welding a few times i just held the trigger and you can hear it stop the flow of gas. I swapped controllers and im running again just fine.
        Probable reed switch inside the controller not telling the machine that it made a contact (welding) The power cable from the power source must pass through a square thingy before it attaches to the drive.
        Last edited by cruizer; 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I will follow up and try that out. Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.