Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TB 302 Compressor Problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB 302 Compressor Problem

Hi-

I've got 22 hours on the compressor side of my TB 302 Air Pak.

This morning I wasn't able to increase pressure at all. I was able to start the compressor just fine. The compressor motor kicks in when I turn the CFM knob on.

Oil is coming from the pressure relief valve. I did hold the valve open a bit while the compressor was running. I've done that in the past and only had air come out.

By the time I got back to my shop and fired it up, the pressure was able to be raised. A mechanic checked the compressor oil and said it appeared to be overfilled. I bought this unit new in 2012 and have never added any oil.

Any Ideas? Should I take it in? Possible blown seal?

Thanks.

Froze up

It could be it that it was too cold this morning, after all the temp was down in the mid 30's.
    I have oil leaking out the right side of my compressor too.
    I never looked to see where it was coming from, I figure it will stop some time soon.
    I changed oil on mine at the 50 hr. mark.
    If you have a hard time finding the Mobil 1 ATF, my fuel man can supply it.
    At last look I had over 200 hrs. on my compressor and about 5 hrs. on the welder.
    I've been doing all my welding in the shop.
    Good Luck,
    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Miller View Post
      It could be it that it was too cold this morning, after all the temp was down in the mid 30's.
      I have oil leaking out the right side of my compressor too.
      I never looked to see where it was coming from, I figure it will stop some time soon.
      I changed oil on mine at the 50 hr. mark.
      If you have a hard time finding the Mobil 1 ATF, my fuel man can supply it.
      At last look I had over 200 hrs. on my compressor and about 5 hrs. on the welder.
      I've been doing all my welding in the shop.
      Good Luck,
      Bob
      Thanks Bob. I never thought about the temperature.

Comment

Turns out Miller is going to replace the regulator. I talked with a tech and explained the symptoms. He told me I should never have to adjust my pressure once I set it. All I should have to do is turn on/off the compressor. (Set it and forget it)

That's never been the case for me since I got it new. I ALWAYS have to reduce the pressure and shut off the compressor. If I ever turned on the compressor without the pressure being set to minimum, I'd have to reduce the pressure knob and recycle the compressor on/off knob.

I'll update when I get it back.

Comment

I got my TB 302 Air-Pak back yesterday. The new regulator works like a charm.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.