Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

good or bad welds

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good or bad welds

What's wrong with this pic take a look tell me if this is a pass . 95% of the welds on injector crash cage are like this can this be a problemName:  31dfb7d4d83be3ad34565a92a12b6f07.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  140.3 KBName:  2fc921c71c747af4e6b241639eb98337.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  131.8 KB
    Last edited by choford; 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM.

A lot of welds are ground and polished but this isn't the case, something is wrong here.

Comment

Hard to tell with them ground like that. But from my experience when someone grinds a weld half way down it's because they are trying to hide an ugly bead.

Comment

If you grind your welds you are a grinder not a weldor. That's all I have to say about that.

Comment

about grinding welds, i always grind my welds, always, for a paying job, rarely for myself. some gravy, flat work usually can skip the grinding, but if i am building a complex frame where people will be using it, hands on, i like to clean up the welds, removing any spatter or sharpies, that does not make me a grinder, it does make me a smart business owner,if i put a finished product out the oor with some spatter on it and some one gets cut, i can get sued, this is america,

Comment

There's a difference between removing spatter and grinding half the bead down.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
              this is america,
              Where i work every weld has to be ground or polished off. I don't like the idea since good welds now look bad but that's what the place wants...Bob

Comment

your right cgotto6, i took a better look at the pics, wtf

Comment

good or bad welds

well I didn't see any porosity that is a plus but that is a fine example of mechanical undercut and a bit of L.O.T

Comment

Hey Kevin
                    Always clean spatter and any sharp edges that's just doing a job right. Unless specified don't grind your welds.

Comment

good or bad welds

If you have to take that much of the weld bead out then you are better off grinding it out and starting over. I will grind down only when told to do so for aesthetics. We have a new employee who has been a "welder" for ever with tons of experience. Since he started any weld that a grinder can get to has been hit. It's sad to see pretty steel treated to poor workmanship. We all need to grind on steel from time to time but it should not be your job title!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.