Best Leather Welding Jacket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Leather Welding Jacket

Stick, Plate/Pipe class starts next week. I need to buy a welding jacket. The one I have now is from NorthernTool and is cotton with leather sleeves. It's worked ok but the cotton part is wearing out quick.

I'd like to buy a Tillman/Caiman/what ever that's full leather.

Y'all got any recommendations?

Y'all's thoughts also on whether to get full jacket or open-back cape/apron?
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

I had both full jacket and open back cape. The cape was a bit hard to put on. I prefer the full jacket much more for protection especially when the sparks are flying. Whether you're grinding, welding or cutting with a torch sparks can fly everywhere. You can also sometimes back into a hot plate you just finished welding or cutting by accident, I've seen this done by the idiot next to me. I guess he learned a lesson the hard way.

Comment

This is my first post. I've been a lurker for awhile. First question I felt I could answer. I purchased a Tillman full leather jacket. After 2 months I sold it. I didn't like the fit or the comfort. It was cowhide and was like wearing stiff cardboard. I purchased a Miller pig skin jacket. Sleeves are lined and it fits like a fine pair of boots. Not saying that Miller is the only one I would buy- but if you can go to a local welding store- try some on. Wearing an uncomfortable jacket all day is not what you want.
      Last edited by kize; 01-01-2014, 07:33 PM.

Comment

My best leather jacket is one someone else is wearing because i don't like working in one at all. Just my thoughts...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I've got an Anchor brand set of leather arms that have buttons for a front panel. They have a collar with about 3 buttons up the front and are pretty comfortable as leathers go. I never did get anything for the rest of it. I only wear them when doing overhead work where spatter is raining down on me. Spatter burning through my cottons was what prompted the purchase. The rest of the time I much prefer the green welding shirts.
          Syncrowave 250DX
          Invison 354MP
          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
          Smith O/A rig
          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

I never wear the leathers I have one that sits in the box full time I wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and then the green on top cost me 15bucks every 3months but far more comfortable
            Syncrowave 250
            Millermatic 210
            dialarc 250
            spectrum 375x
            trailblazer 302
            Lincoln 135

Comment

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
              Stick, Plate/Pipe class starts next week. I need to buy a welding jacket. The one I have now is from NorthernTool and is cotton with leather sleeves. It's worked ok but the cotton part is wearing out quick.

I'd like to buy a Tillman/Caiman/what ever that's full leather.

Y'all got any recommendations?

Y'all's thoughts also on whether to get full jacket or open-back cape/apron?

Miller jackets all the way. I was using millers jackets with leather sleeves and cotton front. They didn't last but a few months. Now I use full leathers from miller. I like the fit and the pocket location and size on the sleeves. Your safety and comfort is not an option. Have the local welding sales rep bring you one by for a test fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel-Gluer View Post
                Miller jackets all the way. I was using millers jackets with leather sleeves and cotton front. They didn't last but a few months. Now I use full leathers from miller. I like the fit and the pocket location and size on the sleeves. Your safety and comfort is not an option. Have the local welding sales rep bring you one by for a test fit.
                Tried on the Miller pigskin. Yep, nice look, nice feel.

Things I didn't like about it:
                - Pricey
                - Didn't get the feel it would take a lot of molten material before burn through
                - Didn't like the elastic cotton stuff in the cuffs. Going to be hot and not needed to stop molten material going up sleeve since wearing gauntlet gloves.
                - REALLY didn't like the outside pocket where it is. That has to be a molten material trap as it always flared open unless I had my hands by my sides.
                =======================
                Miller 211 AutoSet
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

Originally posted by kize View Post
                  I purchased a Tillman full leather jacket. After 2 months I sold it. I didn't like the fit or the comfort. It was cowhide and was like wearing stiff cardboard.
                  Had the same impression of the Tillman jacket. Didn't buy it.

Have decided to stick with my combo leather sleeve, cotton front/back Hobart coat until it wears out, then look again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
                  =======================
                  Miller 211 AutoSet
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...FclcMgodfHUATw

This was what google pulled up. Mines the same brand, but lacks the full front/back.

Something to keep in mind anyway.

I don't find mine stiff at all, but it is definitely heavy enough to know you're wearing it.
                    Syncrowave 250DX
                    Invison 354MP
                    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                    Smith O/A rig
                    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

I like my Hobart full leather jacket from Tractor Supply Company. The sleeves are lined and it is very comfortable. I'm also in school and it did get a bit too hot for a few weeks after we started class back in Sep. Then I used my leather cape I bought from the LWS but the sleeves are not lined and on hot days my arms looked like I had one of those cheap spray-on orange tans. I only really use them for welding overhead. Though right before Christmas break I wore the jacket just because it got so cold in the shop!!

Comment

I recently got a new leather jacket from Lincoln. It is to replace a Miller Combo jacket. The combo jacket was pretty good but Miller doesn't increase the torso length as the size increases which left me about 4-5" short of being fully covered on my torso which sucks bad for overhead and grinding. The Lincoln jacket is pretty comfortable. So far it's the best leather jacket that I've owned. A few people in the shop use Hobart leathers that seem to hold up just fine.

Just walk into a welding supply shop and see what they have. They will likely have something that will work for you and can tell you what is best.

This is the jacket I bought for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electr...vy+duty+jacket

Also, as part of the class you'll likely be doing a lot of overhead and grinding. I'd recommend a full leather jacket for that. When I started class I was in the Miller Combo jacket and it ate my chest and stomach up. Not only that, the sparks will find your back if you let them. I still have burn marks from it. Do yourself a favor and get full leathers and maybe a cheap cloth jacket for everything else.
                        Last edited by jdj90; 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Caiman 3030-6 Extra Large 30-Inch Gold Boarhide Welding Coat

Caiman 3030-6 Extra Large 30-Inch Gold Boarhide Welding Coat

My Amazon Review:
                          ================================
                          Amazon offered two day delivery. Had to make two 30 mile drives to get it. One on the day it was to be delivered and then again two days later when it actually arrived.

I returned it because:
                          - I used the company sizing method and it recommended a L. I ordered and XL and it was still too small. Would never be able to wear it with more than a t-shirt and it would have still been tight.
                          - Material doesn't look thick enough to be used for overhead.
                          - Collar was so tight I could almost not snap it and the snaps were out of alignment so it kind of bunched up on one side.
                          - The arm pockets for pencil/soapstone bunch up when wearing it making it difficult to insert or retrieve anything from the pocket.
                          - The cuff snaps are kind of tedious to snap and don't close up enough for welding gloves to go over easily.

Possessed it for about 15 minutes, boxed it up and sent it back. It could be a nice design with some work. The soft shoulder liner is a good idea as is the cloth collar. Overall though, it sucked.
                          =======================
                          Miller 211 AutoSet
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Francisco Goya

Comment

can't go wrong with a pair of carhart fr bibs and a bulwark or carhart 9oz shirt. and if your still cold burn more rod ... when I get real cold I take a 4' piece of sch80 8" pipe tack a 4" piece of flat bar on the top and tack it under the fab table and run my propane weed burner preheat bottle hose in through the bottom light it up and I'm toasty and my table is nice and warm ...... and that's in alaska

Comment

Working...
                            X