TIG with trailblazer or dedicated machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG with trailblazer or dedicated machine

Gents, need a little advice. Want to start big welding aluminum but unsure of the best way to go. Should I rig up my trailblazer or buy a dedicated Tig machine? Haven't priced out the difference but kind of thought then at least i would be firing up the trailblazer. Pro's and cons would be appreciated

I run a lot aluminum in the field. I have a hi freq box and use it for non-critical repair and fabrication. I broke down and bought a Dynasty 200 for the truck. Takes less time to set up and the advance wave forms speed the actual welding.

Comment

If you use TRAILBLAZER I would say you will be burning at least one gallon of fuel per hour. If onsite , do you need the TRAILBLAZER to run the Dynasty or is power available ? If you get free power that could place machine closer to the work . It may depend on the situation.

Comment

I run a hi freq. box with an air cooled weld-craft cv 300 torch. The arc is very stable and for doing field repairs and fab its a great tool in the arsenal. You can get 200 amps which is good for most field aluminum work. Anything larger either comes to the shop or we bring out the 30A spool gun. You can get a used high freq box for around 600-800$ torch is about 250. Thats still like 2K cheeper than a dynasty 200. I guess its up to your wallet.

Nick

Comment

What he Said ^^^^^^^^

I really like the TB with a high frequency unit or the spoolmatic 30A , the dynasty would be a nicer option but i guess you have to figure out how often you will use to justify the cost. Also consider what another previous post said, if you can plug in to electric as apposed to generated power its always going to be better. I like my portable rig so much i had a adapter block modified to be able to run a coolmate 4 and water cooled torch with quick connects for really heavy use or long welds, it is the cats meow!
          I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

TIG w/TB

Done lots of it...........but anything over 1/8" I spool gun it.

Bottom line is you got about half the price to get a used HF 251 and a 30A spool gun and you can make all day long like that is there better ways, he'll ya but if you are only doing small amounts of alum this set up is good.

That being said, a dynasty is one SWEET machine, but they can be costly, and the shop alum work can go right up.

Where a bouts are you located?

If you are close to me I have a HF251 here on the shelf that has more dust then use, your more then welcome to try it...../buy it

Thx Railmen
            2007 Trailblazer 302G
            2004 Invision 354MP
            1999 60 series feeder
            2005 Maxstar 200DX
            2007 CST280
            1999 HF 251-1
            older Hobart hefty wire feeder
            Hyperthrem 600
            Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
            had and sold........
            2003 XMT 304CC/CV
            1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
            1963 Lincoln SA200G
            1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
            1970's Lincoln SAE400G
            2 Maxstar's 200DX's
            1 Maxstar 200SD
            CST 280
            2 CST 250
            MM130

Railmen

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards using the trailblazer and if use justifies it I could make another purchase. Unless I find a screaming deal here in Edmonton...........

Comment

Originally posted by benweldingawhile View Post
                I run a lot aluminum in the field. I have a hi freq box and use it for non-critical repair and fabrication. I broke down and bought a Dynasty 200 for the truck. Takes less time to set up and the advance wave forms speed the actual welding.
                Have done it both ways...

TB 301G & HF-251 works OK...

BUT...

A Dynasty plugged into TB or Genset or site power.... works a zillion times better for TIG on aluminum...

Nothing beats the Dynasty for TIG in my book...
                Last edited by H80N; 12-26-2013, 09:47 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                X