Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tig welding cast iron?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig welding cast iron?

Hey guys I want to Tig weld some cast iron, but I don't know what kind of tungsten I need to use, And what filler I need?

Tig welding cast iron?

What are you welding? (Vise. Repairing a casting?)

Comment

Tig welding cast iron?

Engine block

Comment

You need high nickel rod or it'll crack as it cools.

Comment

Hey jim
          I stick weld cast with utp55 rodwhats that equal to in tig rod?

Comment

Tig welding cast iron?

And if I was welding on a vise or old yard art I can use stainless. 308 filler?

Comment

You can scrape the flux off your electrodes and use those for filler with TIG.

I've had no luck with anything cast iron and 308/309. Doesn't matter if I preheat, acetone soak, sacrifice animals... always cracks on me right as I think it's going to hold. TING!

Comment

Get you some fire bricks
                Build yourself 3 walls and a plate ontop to enclose the heat . Use a fiberglass blanket and wall insulation.
                Weld as u normally do . And right as your done shove it into the enclosure. Pack it with insulation and wait 24hours . Itll cool down really slow .its always worked for me .

Comment

Tig welding cast iron?

Ok thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DPSwelder View Post
                    Ok thanks
                    I have tigged with I think monel /nickel 60 rod or something with good results. Generally 60-60 nickel rods are good. I have also used stainless but despite being very strong it does not tolerate flex AT ALL....

Comment

Eureka 5545 or Crown 55/45-10

Comment

I use certainum 89

It's a awesome alloy. I use it for cast iron turbo exhaust housings to put a v-band flange on. I've never pre or post heated any cast iron using this filler. I've never had a v-band flange fall of or the weld crack. The stuff is not cheap per lb though.

Comment

Tig welding cast iron?

We have used nirods for few pieces of casting with tig, but we also done same pattern as usual
                          Pre-heat /post heat+ wrapped it in a sandbox for the night!

Worked well!!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.