Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

just bought a new mm252, having gun issues

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just bought a new mm252, having gun issues

just above the nozzle sits a plastic ring that covers the upper end of the nozzle, crank up the welder and it melts, miller is aware of this, their responce, yep it does melt when the machine is pushed, pushed they say, i say used as designed, any one else seen this happen

I have melted bags of them in the last 2 years. Anything above 24V and she will melt. So i stay 23.3 and zero problems. I also use nozzle dip that's half dip and 1/2 water. I use mine 9 1/2 hours a day everyday...Bob

Comment

Thats some good info, I still have not pushed my unit, but I do not use it to make a living. As allways good info to have.

Comment

shock collar I believe its called. really just another consumable in my book. just like tips. buy a bag of them and get over it. I think there about a buck each.

Comment

bob, do you have any problems taking the gun apart to put the collar on, its a crazy set up, brass, copper, fine threads close to .75" long. my gun came apart real hard, i can see issues here down the road, is this a problem, taking it apart after a while. thanks. kevin

Comment

bob i need to type fast,the forum times out after a few minutes when i reply??????????. wouldnt you think miller would do a better job with the gun, the welder is great, sprays real nice, except the gun melts??????????

Comment

Talk to your dealer and see if they'll help you into a better gun.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                bob, do you have any problems taking the gun apart to put the collar on, its a crazy set up, brass, copper, fine threads close to .75" long. my gun came apart real hard, i can see issues here down the road, is this a problem, taking it apart after a while. thanks. kevin
                Yes i do. The fine threads will strip off. I do use neverseeze too. I have stripped the necks on 2 guns and just dug thru the dumpster a few days ago and found a donor neck to swap out. Told the buyer to order me 2 spare necks as they are simple enough to replace...Bob

Comment

I had similar issues with mine, but also after a few years my gun seemed to just be falling apart. I needed a new liner for my cord so ended up just getting a whole new setup off e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTP-Miller-1...item2ecb7f941c
                  That gun itself is made much better and solved all my issues. It uses all the same consumables as the factory m-25 gun. I haven't melted the shock collar yet but since it's the same I probably will, just haven't welded hot enough with it yet.

Comment

I switched to a Bernard Q gun and in my opinion it is a much better unit. I saved my M-25 for a backup gun. A good welder such as the 252 deserves an equally capable gun.
                    Nick

Comment

I bought one of those for the union hall for tacking coupons up, I just hate the stock gun, I bought a tergaskiss 300amp gun and the machine is a whole new monster.

I just hatted this welder before, spatter would not feed very well....

Changed the gun and bam that machine is great nice and smooth....

Just my $.02

Railmen

Comment

just bought a new mm252, having gun issues

When I had my 252 I changed the gun out to a q300 also. They can be had new off of eBay for less than $100 if you watch the auctions.

Comment

gotta tell ya, Miller is the best of the best in welding equipment, their equipment is top shelf and their service is equal, I explained to my rep the down falls of the gun that is supplied with the welder, i compared it to driving a rolls royce using a pinto steering wheel. my local rep talked to miller, explained my case, they swapped out a bernard q gun. they stand behind their people, service is huge,

Comment

i need to type fast, my computer times out on this forum, dont know why. i have been buying miller since 1986, over 10 welders, any issues that i had were always fixed with a phone call, then a hand shake. their service is the best in the industry.

Comment

When our shop had to replace two mig units due to theft we stayed with the 252s. Originally we had a 251 and a 252 on hand. When the two new units arrived from our LWS both were equipped with Bernard Q guns. There is no way the factory guns would hold up at all to the sessions of high heat and volume we put them through. If you are going to run the machine at higher settings for long periods of time just get a quality gun and burn away. Now I want to set one up to run aluminum and see how it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.