Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow plow rack.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow plow rack.

Hey guys i don't have picts because i forgot to take them but i have a dump truck plow rack to repair. The beam on the left side that goes under to the front axle is cracked. The beam is 5 inches wide and 4 inches tall by 1/4" thick. its broke thru the top and down the side about an inch. I am going to plate the top with some 3/4" steel on top (clearance is an issue on the top plate). Then i am going to weld in a 17" piece of 1/4" thick channel that fits tight inside the beam. Of course i'll grind the cracks out and weld them up first. Oh its a newer rack with no rust at all.
    My question, i have 6011 and 7018 rods. Which one should i use to weld the cracks up and then the channel and plate. I might not get the penetration with 7018?. I have 125 amps dc available to me and i know my Miller 211 doesn't have the power needed. Thanks for any info. I know with out picts its hard.

Snow plow rack.

Run a 6011 root and 7018 cap. Or just the 7018.

Comment

Comment

Thanks guys...........

Comment

The miller 211 will do 3/8" on 220 volt, did it today on mine

Comment

Hey guy's sorry i was so long posting the pictures. Here are a few pictures of the snow plow rack i have repaired. Yes it is a big truck plow rack for a single axle GMC top kick. The rack pins to the front bumper which had a push plate fastened to the bumper. The I beams run under the truck and stop about 2 inches short of the front axle. There is a 1/4" plate the width of the I beams welded on the bottom of the I beams and it runs under the front axle. Also there is a 3/4" steel L bracket welded to a cross piece on the I beam to support the rack on top of the axle.
            The repair- I ground out the crack which ran across all the way and down the I beam about an inch. I then welded it up using 7018 DCEP which i am very slow and not the best at but it burned in well and once ground flat looked great. I had a co-worker cut a piece of 3/4" steel notched to fit around the racks bumper bracket (a bad move on my part because the notch was cut to large). I found a piece of 5" channel that fit into the I beam perfectly. The weld areas were ground clean. I used the mm 211 to weld it all up. 9 & 90 i think on the knobs. 3/8" I beam 3/4"" plate and 3/8" channel thickness. Confusing i know because i don't have a picture of the entire rack. Surprisingly the 211 had plenty of power. I paused a little longer on the plate when welding it.

Name:  57632be386fb2639c11af99a752215de.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  129.9 KBName:  8e6d43437688735c4134b628f6ea80a8.jpg
Size:  111.9 KBName:  76debf48659c384c25119a94ce2fc5fb.jpg
Size:  142.4 KBName:  9e6298ae1916b1f94b98cbfad45c15b9.jpg
Size:  137.5 KB

Comment

Looks like a decent repair. Did you do anything to the other I-beam to strengthen it?

Comment

5" channel inside the other I beam should help.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.