Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR500 welding and bending

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR500 welding and bending

For those who know more about this than me (pretty much everyone), I'm about to do some welding on a 3/8" AR500 plate. I'm not experienced welding hardened plate, would everyone recommend some preheat on this? I'll probably mig it up with my 252. I'm welding directly to about a 5/16" mild steel plate. The AR will serve as a wear plate and will drag the ground.
    Also, does anyone know if the AR500 can be bent if I can find someone with a large enough press break? It would help in this application if the front edge had a lip bent on it at about a 30 degree angle. Thanks,

Justin

it can be bent at longer radius than mild steel .

you will find useful info there.

http://www.ssab.com/Documents/North%...%2004%2001.pdf

Comment

AR500 welding and bending

500 is no prob to be bent. It will require a large press but the shop I used to be in did it all the time. As far as welding goes I don't think preheat would hurt but as previously posted check the charts

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, those charts help. A local shop here has a huge press but they were concerned the steel might break instead of bend. I didn't think that was the case but knew you guys would know how it would react. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.