Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller copyright question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Miller copyright question

    Found a picture I'd like to use on a personal business card, but not sure if it would be infringing on any of Miller's copyrights.

    Name:  b1b3b35d9fe9a327bcf0bb192863d57b.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  40.8 KB

  • #2
    Basic Copyright law = No, you are not allowed to reproduce the Logo unless you have the owner's permission.

    Corporations have very strict rules on how their Logo can be used so I doubt they will give you permission.

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope some official from Miller would chime in here. I use all Miller equipment. I see welding businesses with stickers with the Miller logo on them all the time. So if you had it on a card signifying the kind of equipment you use, I think it would be free advertising.
      Anyone commenting from Miller with the policy would be appreciated.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gobysky View Post
        I hope some official from Miller would chime in here. I use all Miller equipment. I see welding businesses with stickers with the Miller logo on them all the time. So if you had it on a card signifying the kind of equipment you use, I think it would be free advertising.
        Anyone commenting from Miller with the policy would be appreciated.
        Don't give up yet...

        our opinion does not matter...

        BUT

        if you are advertising that you proudly use Miller equipment... that does sound like fair use...

        I have seen many independant welder's business cards with the Miller logo proclaiming they use Miller equipment ... so this would not be a new situation...

        All you need is confirmation from an official at Miller...

        we could just bump this thread to keep it near the top till you get a response...
        Last edited by H80N; 12-12-2013, 12:47 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Gobysky View Post
          Found a picture I'd like to use on a personal business card, but not sure if it would be infringing on any of Miller's copyrights.

          Name:  b1b3b35d9fe9a327bcf0bb192863d57b.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  40.8 KB
          Hi Gobysky,
          Email your request to use the image (and the image you would like to use) to webmaster@millerwelds.com. They'll be able to help you from there!

          Thanks,
          Miller Welding Forums Administrator

          Comment


          • #6
            Miller copyright question

            Thank you

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gobysky View Post
              Thank you
              Please Keep Us Posted on how that goes....

              Comment


              • #8
                As per your request

                Originally posted by H80N View Post
                Please Keep Us Posted on how that goes....

                They said we couldn't use their Wallpaper on our cards, but directed me to this site ( http://images.millerwelds.com/main.php ) of images of their products that we could use.

                I'm fairly good with Photoshop, I'll have to take the time to create my own proprietary image. Lots of good ideas you can Google, and then work from there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gobysky View Post
                  They said we couldn't use their Wallpaper on our cards, but directed me to this site ( http://images.millerwelds.com/main.php ) of images of their products that we could use.

                  I'm fairly good with Photoshop, I'll have to take the time to create my own proprietary image. Lots of good ideas you can Google, and then work from there.
                  http://images.millerwelds.com/miller...idelines_F.pdf

                  Don't forget to read the guidelines

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Copyright vs Trademark

                    It's a minor distinction, but still one worth noting. The image most likely would not be covered by copyright law, but rather by trademark. The process for registering is different, as are the laws regarding usage. For example, some copyrighted material can be reproduced without permission (Doctrine of Fair Use) but the rules are very strict and can easily be misinterpreted. However, trademarks must have permission for reuse and that is very difficult to obtain.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      im no lawyer but I would have thought the wallpaper without their logo would be fair game.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cayager View Post
                        im no lawyer but I would have thought the wallpaper without their logo would be fair game.
                        No- the wallpaper is a photograph, could be a drawing whatever..

                        anything created is owned by the creator or the person who owns the copyright i.e. Miller since they probably paid the artist in a buyout- that means they own the image.

                        In commercial art- photo or illustration- the artists can hold on to the ownership and the end user just pays for usage.

                        X amount for x amount of usage. If you see a local ad then the $ isn't as much, if the image is national $$, worldwide $$$.

                        Miller most likely has its own in house graphics department and all artwork created in that department by any artist/designer belongs to Miller.

                        the United Staes Post office is in the middle of a lawsuit because the Statue of Liberty image on their stamp was created based off the one in Las Vegas and THAT statue likeness is owned by the Artist that created it.

                        Miller is pretty cool with allowing their logo to be used BUT you have to read the guidelines because they still have strict guidelines for using the Logo.
                        Placement, Type size colors etc etc. You just can't stick their logo on anything anyway you would like.

                        Stickers don't count

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mikeswelding View Post
                          It's a minor distinction, but still one worth noting. The image most likely would not be covered by copyright law, but rather by trademark. The process for registering is different, as are the laws regarding usage. For example, some copyrighted material can be reproduced without permission (Doctrine of Fair Use) but the rules are very strict and can easily be misinterpreted. However, trademarks must have permission for reuse and that is very difficult to obtain.
                          The image is Copyright
                          The Miller logo in the image is Trademark

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Turned out to be an interesting thread. Thanks for your input Broccoli.

                            I plan on working on a card design that is totally original so I don't touch any copyrights or trademarks. I fully understand why Miller wants to protect their name with their trademarks & copyrights.

                            No regrets asking the question.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.