Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water-cooled tig torch conversion fail

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water-cooled tig torch conversion fail

Morning all,
    I have a slight issue that I was hoping this group could help me with. I recently finished converting my syncrowave 200 to a water cooled torch. I went to weld some aluminum for the first time after converting and I cannot get it to weld, seams like I'm not getting any etching action and the weld pool instantly contaminates. Can't add any filler or anything. I swapped to my air cooled torch and it runs perfect. Not sure what ls what's going on. Here's my current set up.

It does not look like you used a 195380 dinse adapter. How did you hook up weld power and water to the torch?
    The adapter wil facilitate hook up of power(return water) and gas.

Does you cooler have an Oberdorfer pump or Procon?
    Last edited by big mike; 12-11-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by big mike View Post
      It does not look like you used a 195380 dinse adapter. How did you hook up weld power and water to the torch?
      The adapter wil facilitate hook up of power(return water) and gas.

Does you cooler have an Oberdorfer pump or Procon?
      Not sure at all about the cooler. As for the adapter it is the correct one. Seporate a the gas and return water, sure wasn't cheap.

Comment

Comment

I was thinking since I have the return-water and to-water bolted to the machine that it was grounding out. I unhooked them from the machine with no change. Next I'm going to separate the return and feed/to water from each other and see if that resolves the issue.

Comment

I can't see clearly if they are hooked up this way but I believe it should be,
            Red(power cable) into the back of the Dinse
            Red from the Dinse to the cooler
            Blue to the cooler
            Black to the Dinse

Are you sure you don't have a bad power cable?

Comment

I would ask what coolant fluid you are using??

water?

distilled water??

premixed low conductivity TIG coolant??

car antifreeze??

would also ask the brand and model of water cooled torch and collets... some of the soft chinese copper collets can crush and restrict argon flow.... leading to symptoms you described...
              Last edited by H80N; 12-11-2013, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Running esab torch coolant, torch is new/untested. Water and power leads are hooked up correctly. The torch it self is a CK swivel head.

Comment

I also tried raising the argon pressure too because it's acting like low gas flow or none at all but raising the pressure didn't change a thing. You can clearly hear and feel the argon flow coming out of my gas lense.

Comment

Quite l ikely that the torch is hooked up backwards. The current carring conduit is the return line. The torch head is what must be cooled first. Its the other way, the conduit is cooled, however the head gets way hot and trouble happens shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_racer428 View Post
                      I also tried raising the argon pressure too because it's acting like low gas flow or none at all but raising the pressure didn't change a thing. You can clearly hear and feel the argon flow coming out of my gas lense.
                      try switching back to a standard cup and collet configuration to match the tungsten size you are using...(US Made name brand) one less variable

speaking of tungsten... what size, color code and make??

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                        Quite l ikely that the torch is hooked up backwards. The current carring conduit is the return line. The torch head is what must be cooled first. Its the other way, the conduit is cooled, however the head gets way hot and trouble happens shortly after.
                        Cruizer has a point....

pretty easy to get those two lines flipped with one of those adaptors...

AND with the Miller absorption of Weldcraft....

ALL of the online hookup diagrams seem to have disapeared...

my reference links to weldcraft have gone dead and been intercepted by a useless Miller page??... NOT Optimal...
                        Last edited by H80N; 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM.

Comment

1/8" purple and also tried pure with no change.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                            Cruizer has a point....

pretty easy to get those two lines flipped with one of those adaptors...

AND with the Miller absorption of Weldcraft....

ALL of the online hookup diagrams seem to have disapeared...

my reference links to weldcraft have gone dead and been intercepted by a useless Miller page??... NOT Optimal...
                            With the adapter (miller) I have you can't hook the power/return like up wrong. As the return from adapter to the cooler that could be but if fallowed both feed and return lines and they are in the correct spot, I am curious if the cooler has a reversible motor in it for the pump and maybe the 3-prong 120v plug is wired in reverse since it's not the original plug. I am going to the welding shop tonight to pick up some non-china torch consumables. Try and rule everything out. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions so far. This is a great comminty.

Comment

Only thing that would be wrong on the plug when hooked up backwards is the fuse protection to the unit, as if it is backwards there wouldn't be any protection.

Otherwise the motor will only ever run in one direction.

Its ONLY on 3 phase applications that we can make the motor run in the opposite direction

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.