Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the New Water-Cooled Dynasty® 280 and Maxstar® 280!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    [
    Whoops The Coolmate 1.3 draws (2) amp on 115Vac.
    There is no protection, motor blows, your cooler supply module blows, and likely other damage.
    Cruizer..

are you making funnies on us

Coolmate 1.3 manual says fused for 15 amps...

and steady state 115 Volt Models Use 5.9 Amperes, 60 Hertz, Single-Phase Input Power

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o257811a_mil.pdf

and the outlet is NOT fused??

Are you surmising or do you know these answers...??

Sure could use some input from somebody on the development team...

some of this defies logic...
    Last edited by H80N; 12-11-2013, 07:57 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

[QUOTE=H80N;315053]Cruizer..

It says 5.9 amps @ 115 Vac, it is on a 10 amp machine breaker, was looking at a coolmate 1 at the 2 amps. The coolmate 1, I noticed has a thermal incase the motor wants to bake.

The 1.3 has no thermal, nor any internal protection. So it poofs, alotta things go poof with it.

Do you see any protection on the wiring diagram,,,,,

Surmizing not really, just going through the wiring diagram in the service manual, There is no Coolmate 1.3 in the service manuals yet, just a parts break down for it in the 280 manual

Now this is all hear say, Its probably a marvelous machine. Haven't seen any yet.
      Last edited by cruizer; 12-11-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Cruizer..

It says 5.9 amps @ 115 Vac, it is on a 10 amp machine breaker, was looking at a coolmate 1 at the 2 amps. The coolmate 1, I noticed has a thermal incase the motor wants to bake.

The 1.3 has no thermal, nor any internal protection. So it poofs, alotta things go poof with it.

Do you see any protection on the wiring diagram,,,,,

Surmizing not really, just going through the wiring diagram in the service manual, There is no Coolmate 1.3 in the service manuals yet, just a parts break down for it in the 280 manual

Now this is all hear say, Its probably a marvelous machine. Haven't seen any yet.
        Maybe they will DeClassify all this Secret info... and we will get to see the light..

Do not understand why it is so tough to get Facts & Specifications….

Acting like these are a state secret or that the customer is not smart enough to understand will adversely affect our interest in purchasing said blue box…

Might just be motivated to keep our money in pocket and drag our knuckles out of the tent…
        Last edited by H80N; 12-11-2013, 08:44 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

To clarify, there is an option in the software of the machine that you can disable the Cooler Power Supply.

As far as not having issues plugging a grinder into a Dynasty 350 - that product had much more space available underneath the shell. Because a majority of customers requested that we design the receptacle on the Dynasty and Maxstar 280 to be just for the cooler, we didn't want to engineer a Cooler Power Supply which would add weight and size to the machine.
          Last edited by Miller Welders; 12-16-2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller Welders View Post
            To clarify, there is an option in the software of the machine that you can disable the Cooler Power Supply.

As far as not having issues plugging a grinder into a Dynasty 350 - that product had much more space available underneath the shell. Because a majority of customers requested that we design the receptacle on the Dynasty and Maxstar 280 to be just for the cooler, we did want to engineer a Cooler Power Supply which would add weight and size to the machine.
            Back to square one......

Questions STILL not answered....

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

Again, seems pretty clear to me,,,,, plug your grinder into the wall socket.
              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

With regards to a modern inverter, I wouldn't plug anything into a aux power receptacle. (including a cooler)

Its not like the good ol days when the aux power circuit was just another winding in the transformer and a breaker.

With current inverters, AC input regardless of phase is rectified. Then this DC is provided to an Aux Power Board. This aux power board is then tasked with artificially producing 120v AC, along with providing service voltage to all control boards.

Should something happen to this board, it can spike any other board its connected to.

Have you seen a Dynasty 350 just outside of warranty with nearly all boards smoked? I have, on too many occasions.

My advise is to limit your exposure to situations like this and just use the wall receptacle. You purchased a welder, not a power converter for your 120v appliances.

Comment

Originally posted by GTA/SPEC View Post
                  With regards to a modern inverter, I wouldn't plug anything into a aux power receptacle. (including a cooler)

Its not like the good ol days when the aux power circuit was just another winding in the transformer and a breaker.

With current inverters, AC input regardless of phase is rectified. Then this DC is provided to an Aux Power Board. This aux power board is then tasked with artificially producing 120v AC, along with providing service voltage to all control boards.

Should something happen to this board, it can spike any other board its connected to.

Have you seen a Dynasty 350 just outside of warranty with nearly all boards smoked? I have, on too many occasions.

My advise is to limit your exposure to situations like this and just use the wall receptacle. You purchased a welder, not a power converter for your 120v appliances.
                  You may be right. Save the $500 CPS option and plug straight into the wall.
                  Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
                  3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                  Miller Dynasty200DX
                  ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                  MillerMatic350P
                  MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
                  MKCobraMig260
                  Lincoln SP-170T
                  Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                  Hypertherm 1250
                  Hypertherm 800
                  PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                  Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                  SiberHegner CNC Mill
                  2 ea. Bridgeport
                  LeBlond 15" Lathe
                  Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                  Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                  6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Wow, its a $500 dollar option??? I wasn't paying attention. That makes this a no brainer - wall plug.

Comment

Circuit breaker doesn't show up in line with the CPS's output making me think is was unprotected, however its likely pinned through other boards like some of the machine diagrams i've seen. Bad idea as the traces on these boards melt way before the breaker is hit. Or the circuit graphics guy just forgot about it.

Comment

I get asked questions as to why something works the way it does, and what function does what. What machine I like or don't like. Sort of a independent advisor.. since I've been repairing machines for more than 20 years. If someone wanted a machine and called Miller, well that machine will be the best, same with Lincoln, Victor, ESAB Excetera..... I do know the ones that won't last and why, I know which engine drives to buy and ones to stay away from.
                        Hey Cruizer! I know where you are coming from! I had a friend who repaired farm tractors for a living. I would tell him I didn't like something-then he would laugh-and tell me those were the ones that made him the most money! He loved stuff that broke down!

I own three Millers now-if they break I know who to ask how to fix them. And yes!-I will include the serial number! Lol

Comment

Cruizer

Your efforts to get some facts and straight answers on this are appreciated…

I have never seen a product introduction from ANYBODY… with so many false starts… fertilizer and foolishness…

What ever happened to our access to engineering and technical people…?? it is sorely missed…

This is sounding too much like what is coming out of the White House these days for my comfort…

I love the Miller equipment that I own and use now…. But will hold back on the 280 series..

Just too many unanswered questions…

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

Thank you all so very much for your interest in the Dynasty and Maxstar 280 products! We designed the receptacle in the back of the machine to allow for the Coolmate 1.3 to be automatically turned on when the welding powersource is turned on. As many have noticed, the Cooler Power Supply (CPS) is not a standard duplex receptacle. This was done for multiple reasons:
                            • A large percentage of industrial customers requested that we not use a standard duplex receptacle to prevent the use of grinders and other high power draw devices through the welder.

• Many industrial customers do not have 115-120V duplex receptacles readily available in their facility/welding stations. This can pose a challenge as it would require new electrical services to be installed or extension cords to be strung around the shop. If an industrial customer is moving the welding powersource around a shop or facility, it provides a convenience of only needing to make one electrical connection (to any voltage in the range of 208-575V).
                            • Many customers wanted the cooler to be automatically turned on to help prevent torch failure caused by an operator forgetting to turn on the pump.

• With the compact size and weight needs being considered (in addition to those previously mentioned), the CPS was not designed to provide 15A. Although standard wall receptacles are typically rated at 15A, that does not necessarily mean the equipment powered through that receptacle will draw 15A. For reference, the Coolmate 1.3 is rated at 4.7A.

In response to the "false starts" with this product - Miller Electric is committed to providing a high quality product to its customers. Our products are tested both in the field as well as an accelerated life test before they are released. In addition, each individual Dynasty and Maxstar product that leaves our facility has been functionality tested and undergone a simulated weld load. These steps are put in place in order to ensure you are receiving a quality piece of equipment!
                            Andrew Pfaller
                            Product Manager
                            Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

I am not sure what all the fuss is about. Mine has been fantastic. Yes, I have to plug the cooler into the wall. But I do not find that to be very hard to do.

Comment

When i heard there was a "water-cooled" version i thought the machine itself was water cooled. I thought the coolant went through the machine to cool the components like high end computers do. bummer. Then why is it even called a "water-cooled dynasty 280", the torch is water cooled. They should all have a plug in the back for a cooler. weird.
                                Last edited by travisc454; 12-18-2013, 09:24 AM.
                                Performance Aluminum Fabrication

Comment

Working...
                                X