Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

roughneck 1e help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roughneck 1e help

S/N: HE805340
    No power. Throttle switch not working properly. #1 wire not connected. Checked all other connection and seem good. Cleaned slip ringsMore info upon reqest. Thanks in advance for information.

Originally posted by amethyst161 View Post
    S/N: HE805340
    No power. Throttle switch not working properly. #1 wire not connected. Checked all other connection and seem good. Cleaned slip ringsMore info upon reqest. Thanks in advance for information.
    Here is a link to the manual..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o419c_mil.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
      Here is a link to the manual..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o419c_mil.pdf

Have manual but not keen on electrical schematics. Could not find #1 wire on schematics also

Comment

Have manual but not keen on electrical schematics. Could not find #1 wire on schematics also
        On the schematic..
        #1 lead is on the upper left on the "Engine Flywheel Alternator"
        marked right in the crook where the lead turns down... a little hard to see..
        Last edited by H80N; 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
          #1 lead is on the upper left on the "Engine Flywheel Alternator"
          marked right in the crook where the lead turns down... a little hard to see..
          So two wires from engine alternator. One is by its self the other is connected to another wire and bolted to a small capacitor under carburetor. #1 should connect with the single wire?

Comment

I see that I had incorrect schematic. Thank you for posting correct one. Only 1 issue is the schematic shows a Tecumseh engine where mine has a Kohler.

Comment

???

The schematics in the correct manual link that H8N posted shows both the Tecumseh and Kohler engines.

Comment

If I read it right then #1 goes only to the alternator? The wire coming from flywheel alternator must go to points I think?

Comment

Might have been a dumb idea but I jumped 12v + to the slip ring and was able to get power from 115v receptacle.

Comment

I was an idiot and soldered a diode in backwards. Replaced one more diode as well. Now have power to slip rings and receptacle. Only 45VAC at power throttle. I am getting power to my weld jacks as well. What else can be wrong to not get full 115VAC? I found bad diode by using multimeter and trace 12vdc power from alternator to PC board. Then found bad diode. Replaced diode and followed 12v + through capacitors and ended at slip rings.

Comment

Might have been a dumb idea but I jumped 12v + to the slip ring and was able to get power from 115v receptacle.
                      Not dumb at all. That's how one would flash the field to wake up a dead unit that had lost its residual magnetism. However, your machine is "self flashing" yet responded to your 12V application because the failed diode was apparently causing an open in the flashing circuit.

I was an idiot and soldered a diode in backwards. Replaced one more diode as well. Now have power to slip rings and receptacle. Only 45VAC at power throttle. I am getting power to my weld jacks as well. What else can be wrong to not get full 115VAC? I found bad diode by using multimeter and trace 12vdc power from alternator to PC board. Then found bad diode. Replaced diode and followed 12v + through capacitors and ended at slip rings.
                      Looking at the manual schematic, which specific diodes did you find failed and replaced?

There are a number of factors that can be resulting in your low voltage at this point including engine speed and other possible field voltage circuit component failures or adjustment. Voltage at the slip rings (with Fine Amperage Control set to 100) should be approximately 115-150VDC.

I responded to your PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
                        Not dumb at all. That's how one would flash the field to wake up a dead unit that had lost its residual magnetism. However, your machine is "self flashing" yet responded to your 12V application because the failed diode was apparently causing an open in the flashing circuit.

Looking at the manual schematic, which specific diodes did you find failed and replaced?

There are a number of factors that can be resulting in your low voltage at this point including engine speed and other possible field voltage circuit component failures or adjustment. Voltage at the slip rings (with Fine Amperage Control set to 100) should be approximately 115-150VDC.

I responded to your PM.
                        The numbers are gone as to which diodes. I have not checked the AC voltage on slip rings but will tonight or tomorrow and update further. The fine amp control is busted and was bypassed by connection both terminals together which I would think will have it at 100%...I'm not sure who did this but do expect that it worked after the PO wired this.

Comment

The numbers are gone as to which diodes. I have not checked the AC voltage on slip rings but will tonight or tomorrow and update further. The fine amp control is busted and was bypassed by connection both terminals together which I would think will have it at 100%...I'm not sure who did this but do expect that it worked after the PO wired this.
                          D2 & D5 on PC board

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post

I responded to your PM.

42.5VAC on outlets and 0v on weld jacks? Sent video to your email

Comment

Any info or thoughts would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.