Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me decide on tig machine.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide on tig machine.

First off let me say I value all your opinions. I am not a welder by trade and find the answers to my questions very helpful.

A few years ago I bought a MM140 which left my garage off leash. I found it to be a bit small for what I really needed. After the insurance settled I then bought an AC/DC Thunderbolt. Not knowing beans about how electricity works I soon found that my generator would run the welder but not start it. My first lesson in CC vs CV. I added a MM180 which the genny would run but only a short while. Ive been wanting a TIG machine of some sort so I could have the option on thinner material. Recently out of the blue, so to speak, as I was searching for a bigger gen set, I stumbled upon a Bobcat 250 with only 16 hours on the clock. I put the money down and still need to drive 3 hours one way to pick it up.

All that said, I still want a TIG. Im mostly self taught so my only experience with TIG so far was in the Miller trailer at a big race weekend. I did pretty good on the steel but the aluminum was a no go. I see this as a challenge to learn. I would think the Bobcat will power most anything I want to do at the track or at home. Since Im not professional and very willing to hire a pro when the need arises I dont think I need a Dynasty or Sync. Ive been looking over the web pages here on the Diversion and Multimatic 200. Both look reasonably portable. It would appear that the 200 could almost replace what I now have whereas the Diversion is pretty much a single use machine.

All that to say, if you were me, what should I do? One of those two or something altogether different?

Multimatic will not tig aluminum. If that is a requirement, you need a machine that can run in AC and DC.

Comment

Here's a thread from the welding web that may help. My post is # 6
      http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ig-welder-info

Your gonna love the engine drive for sure.

Comment

Thank you! Excellent information. Thats why I ask you guys.

Comment

I get asked "what tig should i get" all the time. I always recommend guys get a used syncrowave 250. Its a beast that can weld just about anything. But you have to have the power service to run it, and they are not portable. Other wise i i would say get the dynasty 200 but they are out of most peoples price range and its easy to need more than 150 amps at 60% duty cycle. I would never buy a diversion. Disclaimer: Im biased, I make money welding thick aluminum everyday. Not even a sync 250 could keep up.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.