No announcement yet.

Shopmaster blows breaker MIG only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ten minutes later, it is a little different.
    Before (by mistake) I had the output contactor switched on. With it set to remote, and the gun voltage at 20V, wire feed at 350 ipm, it welds fine. When I increase the voltage to 24V (machine is on), the instant the wire hits the work piece, the breaker pops. I tried this twice; 20V is fine, 24V pops the breaker.

Frustrating situation. Maybe time to pick a repair shop.

Steve

Comment

Or, get more power to your shop, as this unit takes a 100 amp breaker.

Comment

I've got plenty of history on 50A breakers with no problems. I don't think you're on the right track with the 100A breaker.

Steve

Comment

OK, you figure it out, works fine on 20 volts, blows breaker on 24 volts. Obviously drwing more power. Power you don't have....

Comment

Lemo gets the gold star. It was (still) the breaker. Cruizer gets huge appreciation for all the details; he's also right, just not exactly what he thought. Thanks guys.

The new symptoms came with the new 80A breaker, which I somehow didn't realize (it was new...). When I switched to my other 50A circuit, I got the old symptoms back. In the process, I realized that I had an unused (i.e. new 3 years ago) 50A breaker in another spot on the panel. I connected to it and now have no welder problems.

Long term, I expect the problem will come back. When it does I'll buy a larger breaker from a more reputable source. The 80A came from Amazon/"TradeBelow"; it was cheap, but I sent it back as not working right. It did not work as well as my 50A breakers.

Funny thing, a friend of mine just put in two 50A breakers (new). One of them was bad. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Steve
            Last edited by sajurcaju; 12-29-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X