No announcement yet.

Problem with Miller 211...since it was new

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though I agree it is a flawed design, Miller and Hobart have been using this spool hub design for well over 10 years. My Handler 187 and 210 MVP produce very smooth arcs (virtually spatter free welds on 1/8") with the hub rubbing on the sheet metal. I agree though that shimming the hub off the sheet is an improvement to the design. MY local ACE hardware stocks a perfectly sized nylon thrust washer that fits between the shaft and the hub, eliminating the need to shim the shaft off the sheet metal like you did.

Comment

I hope that my post is not taken as a knee jerk reaction bashing Miller directly but is posted and phrased in the hopes that it be taken seriously. When there is a silly over site such as this which caused problems right out of the box it needs addressed by them (Miller). My dealer did offer to look at it when I called them about it but packing it up and driving 45min one way on a Saturday (the only day I can get there) only to probably have to leave it there and do it all over again on another Saturday is not something I would be willing to do. If it completely broke then that would be something different. What Miller has to consider is my dealer I went to also had Lincoln and offers a try before you buy with any unit your interested in and had I done that and it acted like this one I would have went with a Lincoln and Miller would have lost my interest and respect. As it was I bought this one without trying it first and had this experience and can only hope it has been corrected.
      So if Miller (in my eye) wants to stay in the top i hope they read this and take note and make the proper needed correction as i don't feel that responsabililty falls on my or other owners laps not to mention the dealers. If that was the only brand they sold and it acted that way they too would have lost a sale. This economy is not in that good of shape to be playing games with customers.
      I'm sure Miller didn't make this part so they can now go to them and make them do the nessary corrections it's just i feel something this silly should have never happened in the firstplace.

Is there anyone else here that had to do something like this? Or is this a new problem?

Comment

Picked up my new 211 from the LWS this afternoon (love that rebate ) and welded some 1/8 material with .030 for about 30-45 minutes. Wire ran smooth as silk; beautiful welds. I like it! (Although I felt it strained a bit on 1/8 running on 115 v. Acceptable weld but not the "effortlessness" of 230v. To be fair to the machine, my (very old) 20 a breaker kicked out a couple of times when running on 115 v; I have seen numerous cases over the years where aged breakers cant carry a full load (like me!) and will try again tomorrow with a new breaker. Anyway I'm so glad for your post so that if it ever occurs I'll know the cause. Thanks again.

Comment

Congrats on the welder. It really is a nice unit with more power the I think they say it has (really). I have easily blown holes in 3/16 square tubing and I was nowhere near max not even close. The power trumps the Linc.sp175 I have at work without even trying. When I would weld with it and it must have been in the right spot the welds were great but then out of nowhere wamm it turned bad real quick. It is those great welds and tremendous power that has prevented me from taking it back and getting the Linc.. I do feel that if my issue is resolved this welder gives the Linc. a severe case of red ass.

I hope your unit keeps working like it should and if so you have made a great choice you can be proud of. At least if it does act up (like you said) you might have an idea where to look first or tell your dealer where so he knows.

Good Luck and again Congrats,

Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave. I told my local Airgas guy about your problem. He said he has not had any complaints but thanked me for the info and will see if he hears of any customer issues. He's a straight-up guy and would have told me if he knew of any problem. I'll see how mine works out n the long term.

Comment

A recap to this is the unit has been welding fantastic, welds smooth as butter with plug welds that just look real nice. So far this correction I made seems to have corrected the problem.
              I did call my local Airgas guy (looking for a Hypertherm plasma unit) and he said that brand is hands down the best. When I had told him I had a 211 mig he was very pleased and said that that was hands down the best in it's class. I explained my experience and problem to him and the correction I made to it he said before I could finish that there should be a large washer there (where mine did not). I had said that I had put a standard washer there and it seemed to correct it. He said it must have made it out of assembly without it that there should have been one and said to look at the parts diagram and you will see it.
              Well I looked and don't see a washer between the back plate and spool adapter. Is
              there supose to be one?

Comment

I'll check mine tomorrow and see if there's a large washer in there. I don't remember seeing one but mine seems to feed very well. Will let you know. Have used it a good bit now, and I agree with you on the power it has-I suspect the 211 is very conservatively rated.

Might add that I bought a Hypertherm Powermax 45 after following guidance from this site and my LWS guy. Someone here made a statement a while back that describes it perfectly-"puts a smile on my face every time I use it". After cutting with OA for 50 years, I just could not believe it. Just an amazing machine.
                Last edited by Aeronca41; 06-15-2015, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                  I'll check mine tomorrow and see if there's a large washer in there. I don't remember seeing one but mine seems to feed very well. Will let you know. Have used it a good bit now, and I agree with you on the power it has-I suspect the 211 is very conservatively rated.

Might add that I bought a Hypertherm Powermax 45 after following guidance from this site and my LWS guy. Someone here made a statement a while back that describes it perfectly-"puts a smile on my face every time I use it". After cutting with OA for 50 years, I just could not believe it. Just an amazing machine.
                  I just happened to make that statement. And it still does when I use the pm45. I think that would be a great hypertherm slogan.

Comment

Kize--glad to know where that quote came from. It is just perfect! I agree-Hypertherm ought to have your picture with that smile alongside your PM45. I cannot imagine anything that would improve that machine. I had occasion to try the expanded metal cutting mode last week while building some stairs. Wasn't sure what to expect at first but it was just a flawless operation. Barely had to grind the cut edges once I got to cutting at just the right place in the material. Thanks again for a great quote!

Comment

Dave-I checked my new 211. There is no washer back there, which is consistent with what you saw in the parts list. There is not much clearance between the spool and the case but enough that mine works smoothly. I wonder if you got an out-of-tolerance sleeve on your drive stud? Anyway, glad you found a fix.

Comment

Aeronca, thanks for checking. I am (now that it's fixed) elated with that purchase for sure.
                        Both you and kize are making my plasma purchase harder that's for sure. I will start another thread to discuss it so I can deside.

Thanks again,
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X