Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding rot iron

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding rot iron

Excuse my spelling...have a job coming up on some decorative rot iron landscape fencing....was wondering what would be the best process to use...mostly re-tacking the tacks broken....thanks in advance

How decorative?
    Scrolls Pickets and such can be plain old mild steel.

Some of the more ornate stuff is cast iron.

Comment

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...earchid=895565

Comment

welding rot iron

I haven't seen it yet so don't know how decorative....was just told about it

Comment

welding rot iron

If it regular steel just tack again with stick. Pull up, tack, tack, tack, roll up and roll out...

Comment

unless its about 150 years old its most likely not wrought iron. most likely mild steel. newer stuff has those Chinese cast iron points on them.

Comment

All deco steel I use is mild, except for the stuff that is obviously cast, such as post caps, baluster shoes, some fence toppers, etc. you should be able to see an obvious difference between the cast and mild steel parts. Everything decorative steel I mig. In fact I was just working on a handrail and baluster system with mild steel hammered edge tube. Migging it all day. When I have to set cast post caps or similar I just epoxy them.

Comment

Here are some photos I took haven't gotten a chance to see what type of metal it is
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like cast iron panels in a mild steel railing. Are you going to sandblast and repaint it?---Meltedmetal

Comment

welding rot iron

Metalmaster....I don't have a sandblaster

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.