Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

digital elite auto off issue

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital elite auto off issue

I replaced the batteries in my digital elite a month ago LWS did it for me and the hood won't power up.

I believe there may be an issue with the auto power off?

I used the hood 3 times for about 1 hr since last batt change

Any advice appreciated

Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
    I replaced the batteries in my digital elite a month ago LWS did it for me and the hood won't power up.

I believe there may be an issue with the auto power off?

I used the hood 3 times for about 1 hr since last batt change

Any advice appreciated
    What brand of battery??

there was an issue with intermittant contact on the battery holder with some brands...

Panasonic are OK but Energizer have probs

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...001#post270001
    Last edited by H80N; 11-15-2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

H80N,

I am aware of the Energizer issue. I did check at the LWS and they did install Panasonic batteries.

Maybe I'll take it apart and see if the batteries are still good.

If so then the it may be the intermittent contact issue.

If dead then something is malfunctioning

Thank you for the prompt reply!

Comment

So I pulled both batteries tonight; result...

1.31V and 1.71V

Obviously the hood is not shutting off automatically.

Any way to shut off manually?

Comment

Did you try pushing and holding the reset button. That usually solves issues I've had.

Comment

Originally posted by @cvmechanical View Post
            Did you try pushing and holding the reset button. That usually solves issues I've had.
            No.

Will replace batteries again and try the reset before putting the hood away

Comment

I have had dig elite probs since day one. I bought a Jackson off a new guy in the shop who thought welding was fun in school but not practice. I had the mod replaced 3times because of the auto dark not engaging or batt dying every week.

Comment

Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
                I have had dig elite probs since day one. I bought a Jackson off a new guy in the shop who thought welding was fun in school but not practice. I had the mod replaced 3times because of the auto dark not engaging or batt dying every week.
                Bought a Miller Performance 5 years ago when I was in school. Still working great! Don't know anything about the new digitals. I just bought one of the new ESAB A/D hoods. Best hood I ever used!!! The colors are amazing! Imagine a hood that let's you see the puddle with your naked eye-without the side effects! Lol!

Comment

I believe I found the issue.

I need to hold the power button a few seconds to turn it off.

I will see if this solves the issue

Comment

been having my elit for well over 6 years now I replaced the batteries one time but I never ever power it off.when I'm done welding it hangs on the bottles or it gets thrown in my tool box

Comment

Appreciate the info.

Do you leave it in X mode when storing it or another mode?

I think there may be a electro-magnetic field causing it to stay on?

Comment

Was sending the unit in for warranty work for this issue but after keeping the shop at a 40 degree Fahrenheit minimum for over a week (it's -16 out) the hood has not powered up on its own and the batteries are fine.

Have not tried the auto off feature; how long till it powers down on its own?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.