Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

millermatic 252 settings cards

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• millermatic 252 settings cards

To the 252 owners;

Do you find the settings charts on the front of the machine to be generally on the cold side?

Running
    ER70S-6 wire 0.035
    CO2
    1/2 second pre-flow
    2 second post flow

Should I be using the thickness gauge tool instead?

The charts are just suggested starting points- adjust as needed.

Comment

Straight CO2 will have different settings than 75/25

Comment

Yes, straight C02 runs hotter than the settings shown on the cards. I welded some 1/2" 1018 plates on a bevel joint recently. The settings were shown as 29.5 V (basically wide open) and 5i5 IPM on wire speed. I tried that and had to back down to 26 volts add 450 IPM and that was fine with .035 wire.

I think the settings would be very close with 75/25 gas.

Comment

Yup I did use the recommended settings for CO2 and noticed I needed to up the voltage.

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
            Yup I did use the recommended settings for CO2 and noticed I needed to up the voltage.

Thanks for the feedback
            Sorry, you misunderstood. CO2 runs hotter. Therefore it was necessary to lower the voltage.

Comment

To the 252 owners;

Do you find the settings charts on the front of the machine to be generally on the cold side?

Running
              ER70S-6 wire 0.035
              CO2
              1/2 second pre-flow
              2 second post flow

Should I be using the thickness gauge tool instead?
              The charts are way off

Comment

Originally posted by Synchroman View Post

Thanks for the feedback
                Sorry, you misunderstood. CO2 runs hotter. Therefore it was necessary to lower the voltage.
                It may be the case for you but I've found so far the chart is cold even with CO2 therefore I've had to raise voltage

Comment

What length stick out are you running?

Comment

I always go up in settings by a gauge if welding 1/4" I use settings for 3/8" and so on running .035 with 75/25

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
                      What length stick out are you running?
                      1/4-1/2"

Comment

verify input voltage? May have to adjust output accordingly...

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyg340 View Post
                          verify input voltage? May have to adjust output accordingly...
                          So your saying if input is 220V instead of 230V I may need to go up in voltage.

Comment

So your saying if input is 220V instead of 230V I may need to go up in voltage.
                            It really is worth your while to download and read your owners manual at least twice..

Make sure you plug in your serial number to get the correct version..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/o...uals.php?model

as far as settings go... as Broc said.. they are a starting point... personal speed and style will greatly affect how much you need to adjust..

there is a real treasure trove of info on technique and settings in the MIG resources section..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ur-skills/mig/

a little bit of study will answer and clarify a whole bunch of your questions..

The better understanding you have of the basics.. the better your results will be and the faster your progress in skill building..

Last edited by H80N; 11-23-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Ok thx will try these suggestions

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.