Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

filler for chromolly ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filler for chromolly ?

guys,
    im getting a small side job to repair a go kart frame thats made out of chromolly, and was wondering what filler rod to tig weld it with ?
    thanks

Assuming it's 4130 I would use er70 tig wire.

If you do a search on here you will get more reading than you want.

edit -- I removed "er80" from my above sentence.
    Last edited by MMW; 11-24-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
      Assuming it's 4130 I would use er70 or er80 tig wire.

If you do a search on here you will get more reading than you want.
      +1...ER70....

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...highlight=4130
      Last edited by H80N; 11-13-2013, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
        thanks guys.. much appreciated. i will go with the er70s since i have that

Comment

ER70-s2
          Originally posted by FABMAN View Post
          thanks guys.. much appreciated. i will go with the er70s since i have that

Comment

ER80 filler is closer to the strength of the 4130 than ER70 if you're not planning on heat treating the part after welding. Do a little research on welding 4130 before you do the job because you can mess up the material by getting it to hot or allowing it to cool to quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by jrscgsr View Post
              ER80 filler is closer to the strength of the 4130 than ER70 if you're not planning on heat treating the part after welding. Do a little research on welding 4130 before you do the job because you can mess up the material by getting it to hot or allowing it to cool to quickly.
              Nope...

I disagree.. ER-70 is the way to go...

You might change your mind too once you have read this article in the AWS Welding Journal on 4130 filler metals that we referenced earlier..

http://www.aws.org/wj/apr03/AWfeature.html

From the article:

"What about Welding 4130?
              In the mid 1970s, while managing an R&D group for a welding filler metals manufacturer, I received a phone call from a dragster chassis builder. The company wanted to weld 4130 tubing and needed a filler metal recommendation. After careful review of the requirements and desired welding practices, the solution was defined. The company was welding 4130 normalized tubing. It would not be heat-treated after welding, and preheat was not desirable. Most of the weld joints were intersecting tubes that required fillet welds.
              Filler Metal Choice
              The main objective was to produce porosity- and crack-free weld deposits. The best filler material to use was a low-carbon alloy, AWS ER70S-2. This welding alloy has a very low carbon content, nominally 0.06, which can handle dilution into the relatively high (in terms of weld metal) 0.30 carbon in the 4130. The resulting diluted weld deposit has a tensile strength of approximately 590 to 620 MPa (85,000 to 90,000 lb/in.2) The actual strength will depend on the amount of dilution with the 4130, weld bead size, and material thickness. This is usually an under match for the 4130 tubing, which could have 760 to 800 MPa (100,000 to 115,000 lb/in.2) tensile strength, depending on how the material was processed. However, if extra joint strength is required, a slightly larger fillet size or gussets can be employed. In addition, this welding wire contains small amounts of aluminum, titanium, and zirconium. Although these elements were initially added to handle welding over mill scale, they also contribute to a less fluid weld pool. The benefit to the welder is easier out-of-position welding. Note: It is recommended all welding on 4130 be performed on ground surfaces free of oil or grease. Several years after making this recommendation, when looking at a catalog from the dragster chassis manufacturer, it was interesting to note it advertising its use of the ER70S-2 filler metal for their 4130 welding. In fact, offering it for sale for those customers purchasing frame parts and doing their own welding!"
              Last edited by H80N; 11-13-2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Here is a pretty good video from weldingtipsandtricks...

"Tig Welding Some 4130 Chromoly with ER70s2 filler wire"

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/welding-4130.html

If you want to get into the metalurgy and physics of it.. this video goes into it in more depth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSrEggjz1A

(first 2/3 is pretty good.. the last 1/3 is an ad for something else)

Last edited by H80N; 11-14-2013, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                  Nope...

I disagree.. ER-70 is the way to go...

You might change your mind too once you have read this article in the AWS Welding Journal on 4130 filler metals that we referenced earlier..

http://www.aws.org/wj/apr03/AWfeature.html

From the article:

"What about Welding 4130?
                  In the mid 1970s, while managing an R&D group for a welding filler metals manufacturer, I received a phone call from a dragster chassis builder. The company wanted to weld 4130 tubing and needed a filler metal recommendation. After careful review of the requirements and desired welding practices, the solution was defined. The company was welding 4130 normalized tubing. It would not be heat-treated after welding, and preheat was not desirable. Most of the weld joints were intersecting tubes that required fillet welds.
                  Filler Metal Choice
                  The main objective was to produce porosity- and crack-free weld deposits. The best filler material to use was a low-carbon alloy, AWS ER70S-2. This welding alloy has a very low carbon content, nominally 0.06, which can handle dilution into the relatively high (in terms of weld metal) 0.30 carbon in the 4130. The resulting diluted weld deposit has a tensile strength of approximately 590 to 620 MPa (85,000 to 90,000 lb/in.2) The actual strength will depend on the amount of dilution with the 4130, weld bead size, and material thickness. This is usually an under match for the 4130 tubing, which could have 760 to 800 MPa (100,000 to 115,000 lb/in.2) tensile strength, depending on how the material was processed. However, if extra joint strength is required, a slightly larger fillet size or gussets can be employed. In addition, this welding wire contains small amounts of aluminum, titanium, and zirconium. Although these elements were initially added to handle welding over mill scale, they also contribute to a less fluid weld pool. The benefit to the welder is easier out-of-position welding. Note: It is recommended all welding on 4130 be performed on ground surfaces free of oil or grease. Several years after making this recommendation, when looking at a catalog from the dragster chassis manufacturer, it was interesting to note it advertising its use of the ER70S-2 filler metal for their 4130 welding. In fact, offering it for sale for those customers purchasing frame parts and doing their own welding!"
                  I agree with H80N. I am not an expert, but I have a friend who is. He builds chrome-moly frames for AA Fuelers for a living. When I have a question about welding, I ask him! He uses ER70-2 for chrome molly frames. Use pulse on your tig to limit heat, and give you time to catch up with any gaps left by loose fit up.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.