Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millermatic 180 inconsistent welding

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 180 inconsistent welding

Purchased new about a year ago, had trouble right out of the box. I do wrought iron work and use a generator for power. Had been using my DVI 2 for years with a 7000w gen for years with no problem, just got tired of dragging it around. Decided to buy a 180 autoset and put it on a two wheeler for ease of moving around. Problem is my 7000w genny wont run it, kills the gen. Had to switch to a 10000w genny just to weld at 25 percent. Contacted miller about this issue to which they were no help at all, put the issue off as new technology.

My other issue with this machine is that on line voltage (230-240) it is so inconsistent. Will weld fine for a short time and then suddenly act like someone cranked up the wire speed and start banging the weld with wire or, just the opposite and burning the wire up to the tip. Again no help from Miller or my LWS. I am absolutely tired of jacking with this. I have been a dedicated Miller user for more than thirty years but now am seriously considering going red.

Ideas…….anyone?

Have you plugged into a hard line to see if it welds properly?

Comment

yes, read 2nd paragraph. thanks for responding.

Comment

Have you measured your line voltage to make sure you are really getting what you think you have? Also have you measured the ac frequency coming out of the Genny plus the real vac?

Comment

Although I have encountered some issues with generator power if you are getting poor results on wall power then something is wrong. I would start by looking at any possible wire feeding issues, you would also want to check the work clamp (make sure it is in good shape and the cable connection is in good condition and tight). From there you may want to try a differnt gun if you haven't already tried that.

What size and type of wire are you using?

Comment

Sorry it was a long night, it's kinda sounds like an intermittent connection problem either in the ground clamp or at machine or gun/connection

Comment

Take it to the LWS and see if you can duplicate the problem n front of them.

Comment

I will tell you this. People bash my Hobart welders but the welders are great and customer service is out of this world. They will stay with you until your problem is solved. The Tech i have dealt with was Bill and he was great.
                Contact Miller and tell them your issues and let them lead you to the solution. If they don't i agree switch brands because their are to many top brands out their to be held up on a simple issue. I hate to hear about issues that the manufacturer won't help resolve. Shame on the dealers too.......Just saying......

Comment

Shouldn't it still be under warranty? And just to throw my other $.02 in. I agree with really checking your ground and your liner. Something could be causing it to hang. Also not trying to be a smart a$$ because you have been welding for yeas, could polarity be set wrong?

Comment

I've got a miller 252. I was having some of the exact same problems. It was constantly blowing back into the tip over and over. Some days it ran just fine though. In longer passes the lead would start shaking real bad and the wire would just seem to spit out and/or eventually fizzle out and quit feeding. I kicked that thing so many times I'm surprised it's not broken. Every test our weld supplier ran on it was negative for any defaults. Then our company moved to a new building and we haven't had any issues with it. We came to the conclusion that it was most likely the power supply to the building.

Comment

Line voltage is good, one of the first things I checked. I have changed guns with the same results. Changed liners, ground and yes the polarity is correct. It is like somebody is toggling a switch back and forth and no consistency when it acts up. I understand power from a generator is different than line voltage but it is a consistent difference. This thing is a bad machine and can’t get Miller or my LWS to help, I feel it’s a problem with the machine because it has done this right out of the box. I think I’m starting to see red.

Comment

Lets answer a few important questions first. What type and size wire are you using? What size and type rollers are you using? Flux core=knerrled rollers, solid wire=v-groove, aluminum=u-groove. And the numbers have to match. Yeh the 180 may pull more power than the DVI, but you probably took the spool of wire out the DVI and threw it in the 180. Chances are you didn't check to see if its compatable. Most trouble is operator error. So,,Go buy a Lincoln, and when you can't figure out that machine complain to them how your "Blue in the face"!
                        Last edited by ja baudin; 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

If you could get me the serial number off your machine, the name of the LWS you are dealing with and who you are working with there I will check into this.

You can e-mail me at kschuh@millerwelds.com

Comment

Metalpuddler,

I have the same model Millermatic 180 and I have been having the same problems as you have described. I bought the welder at the beginning of 2013 and it had problems right out of the box. I've tried tightening all of the ground leads, replacing the ground clamp, replacing the gun liner, replacing the gun, three different manufacturers of wire, etc. As an electrician, I have made sure that the wiring and electricity coming into the garage is correct. I've taken it to my LWS and talked to the techs at Miller and nothing helped.

From what you have described it seems that we are experiencing many of the same problems as well as others. I just wanted to let you and others know that this doesn't seem to be an isolated incident and see if we can come up with any other ways to solve these problems.

Comment

I have the same set up

Originally posted by metalpuddler View Post
                              Purchased new about a year ago, had trouble right out of the box. I do wrought iron work and use a generator for power. Had been using my DVI 2 for years with a 7000w gen for years with no problem, just got tired of dragging it around. Decided to buy a 180 autoset and put it on a two wheeler for ease of moving around. Problem is my 7000w genny wont run it, kills the gen. Had to switch to a 10000w genny just to weld at 25 percent. Contacted miller about this issue to which they were no help at all, put the issue off as new technology.

My other issue with this machine is that on line voltage (230-240) it is so inconsistent. Will weld fine for a short time and then suddenly act like someone cranked up the wire speed and start banging the weld with wire or, just the opposite and burning the wire up to the tip. Again no help from Miller or my LWS. I am absolutely tired of jacking with this. I have been a dedicated Miller user for more than thirty years but now am seriously considering going red.

Ideas…….anyone?
                              My Millermatic 180 only pulls 23 amps @240 volt so I have trouble understanding the need for a 10 KW generator. I run mine on a 50 amp-240 volt circuit on my Miller Bobcat and run it on a 30 amp circuit in my home shop. My Millermatic is the autoset and I have had a problem occassionially but resolved it by checking the contact tip, tightening it, switching off the auto set and checking the wire feed. Sounds like you might want to check your liner. It is just maybe my imagination, but I think maybe the quality of the ground on the base metal may fool the auto set. The red machines in this price range do not seem to weld as good.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.