Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millermatic 180 inconsistent welding

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Have gone round and round again with my welder, here is where I stand today. Line voltage checked by licensed electrician, ground clamp change (again), new liner and tip (.023), knurled roller, correct polarity, fresh gas, different brand of wire, new clean metal.
    Just for giggles I ran a few welds with the machine on auto set and it runs perfectly on long well setup joints. Problem is I cant always set up a perfect joint in the field or in the shop. I build gates for a living now and use a lot of 16g material, some are square some are not, some have arches that come into a straight edge. Bottom line at some point I will have to stitch weld (who hasn't at some time). Try and use one of these on auto set and try to stitch weld and you will see what I am up against. It acts like it is hunting for wire speed or voltage and only makes my job harder. That being said I like to weld a little wetter than auto set anyway.
    Going to an authorized service center with samples tomorrow and see what they say. Will post results.

Comment

good news

It failed miserably at the service center, i was also told there was an update for it. will keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

UPDATE

Got a call from my LWS, my machine is to be completely rebuilt. My thanks go out to Kevin and Jason at Miller.

Comment

Good to hear things appear to be looking up with the machine but FYI, you should be using "V" groove drive rolls for MIG.

Knurled are for flux core and can cause feed problems with solid wire due to burrs on and possible distortion of the wire as well as a build up of metal flakes/dust in the liner as a result.

Comment

Yes I know "V" groove is the drive wheel to use, it was suggested that I use knurled to check for wire feed problem

Comment

I have been doing a ton of out of position welding on 16g metal studs and I could not get .023 wire to dial in. I kept having the exact symptoms you are having. It was only out of position though, if I did a weld on sawhorses I could get it working perfectly. I messed around with it for a bit because I felt .023 was the correct wire for this job and I have a few spools of it I would like to use up. In the end I went back to my normal .030 and all problems went away. Maybe using .030 will help with your issues also. I was using my 180a/s also.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.