Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tig machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If you do have any sort of budget consider the HTP Invertig 221. I am a previous Dynasty owner(yes I had to replace a board). The HTP is an awesome package. It has a lot more programs than the Dynasty. A fully loaded setup with cart, cooler and all bells and whistles runs around $2800......Miller's version is around $6000. HTP has more amps and a better duty cycle as well as great customer support. Virtually no board problems like the dynasty......I bought mine with Artic chill cooler, 2 gallons of coolant, 25ft torch and foot control.....dual regulator(for purging) ....spare parts kit, t shirt, tig torch holder and some filler for $2863 shipped with a 3 year warranty.
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Welcome Aboard!!

    Your concern about the build date... is that about the changes in arc start they call "Blue Lightning"???

    Machines with a serial number LJ280222L and higher are equipped with the improved "Blue Lightning" arc start circuitry

    If yours is earlier... I would not worry about it... there are many thousands of earlier Dynasties in use every day with no problem.. it should do what you want with no issues as long as the machine is in proper working order..
    Cruizer posted some TuneUp ideas a few years back that might be helpful..

    BTW.. I have used both styles of Dynasty 200DX and never noticed a difference in arc starts...

    Congrats on your new purchase.. you will enjoy it....
    a Dyn 200 of any age is an awsome machine..
    That aint your Daddy's Syncrowave...

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by JerseyWelder View Post
      If you do have any sort of budget consider the HTP Invertig 221. I am a previous Dynasty owner(yes I had to replace a board). The HTP is an awesome package. It has a lot more programs than the Dynasty. A fully loaded setup with cart, cooler and all bells and whistles runs around $2800......Miller's version is around $6000. HTP has more amps and a better duty cycle as well as great customer support. Virtually no board problems like the dynasty......I bought mine with Artic chill cooler, 2 gallons of coolant, 25ft torch and foot control.....dual regulator(for purging) ....spare parts kit, t shirt, tig torch holder and some filler for $2863 shipped with a 3 year warranty.
      That's nice.... BUT...

      He was asking about a Dynasty that he has just purchased..

      Originally posted by StarBrightpools View Post
      Hello Richard,

      I'm new to the forum and tig welding. I just purchased a 2004 Dynasty 200dx from ebay today. Should I return the unit and buy at least an 2008 or newer unit?

      I want to be able to weld aluminum intake piping, stainless steel headers, exhaust, and roll cage piping.
      .

      *******************************************
      The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

      “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

      Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

      My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

      TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by JerseyWelder View Post
        If you do have any sort of budget consider the HTP Invertig 221. I am a previous Dynasty owner(yes I had to replace a board). The HTP is an awesome package. It has a lot more programs than the Dynasty. A fully loaded setup with cart, cooler and all bells and whistles runs around $2800......Miller's version is around $6000. HTP has more amps and a better duty cycle as well as great customer support. Virtually no board problems like the dynasty......I bought mine with Artic chill cooler, 2 gallons of coolant, 25ft torch and foot control.....dual regulator(for purging) ....spare parts kit, t shirt, tig torch holder and some filler for $2863 shipped with a 3 year warranty.
        That's nice.... BUT...

        He was asking about a Dynasty that he just purchased..

        Originally posted by StarBrightpools View Post
        Hello Richard,

        I'm new to the forum and tig welding. I just purchased a 2004 Dynasty 200dx from ebay today. Should I return the unit and buy at least an 2008 or newer unit?

        I want to be able to weld aluminum intake piping, stainless steel headers, exhaust, and roll cage piping.
        .

        *******************************************
        The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

        “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

        Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

        My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

        TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by JerseyWelder View Post
          If you do have any sort of budget consider the HTP Invertig 221. I am a previous Dynasty owner(yes I had to replace a board). The HTP is an awesome package. It has a lot more programs than the Dynasty. A fully loaded setup with cart, cooler and all bells and whistles runs around $2800......Miller's version is around $6000. HTP has more amps and a better duty cycle as well as great customer support. Virtually no board problems like the dynasty......I bought mine with Artic chill cooler, 2 gallons of coolant, 25ft torch and foot control.....dual regulator(for purging) ....spare parts kit, t shirt, tig torch holder and some filler for $2863 shipped with a 3 year warranty.
          Thank you JerseyWelder for mentioning this welder. If I am dissatisfied with the dynasty within the two week return policy, I will buy the HTP. It would be reassuring to have a 3 warranty.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by H80N View Post
            Welcome Aboard!!

            Your concern about the build date... is that about the changes in arc start they call "Blue Lightning"???

            Machines with a serial number LJ280222L and higher are equipped with the improved "Blue Lightning" arc start circuitry

            If yours is earlier... I would not worry about it... there are many thousands of earlier Dynasties in use every day with no problem.. it should do what you want with no issues as long as the machine is in proper working order..
            Cruizer posted some TuneUp ideas a few years back that might be helpful..

            BTW.. I have used both styles of Dynasty 200DX and never noticed a difference in arc starts...

            Congrats on your new purchase.. you will enjoy it....
            a Dyn 200 of any age is an awsome machine..
            That aint your Daddy's Syncrowave...
            Thank you H80N!

            Yes, my concern was in regards to the blue lighting and also the age of the unit. Any idea on how long I can expect this unit to last?

            I went to my local welding supply store today and purchased tungsten tips for stainless and aluminum, filler rod, and a new Miller welding mask. The unit arrives next Tuesday and I can not wait to start practicing my welds.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by StarBrightpools View Post
              Thank you H80N!

              Yes, my concern was in regards to the blue lighting and also the age of the unit. Any idea on how long I can expect this unit to last?

              I went to my local welding supply store today and purchased tungsten tips for stainless and aluminum, filler rod, and a new Miller welding mask. The unit arrives next Tuesday and I can not wait to start practicing my welds.
              Would expect it to last as long or longer than one of the transformer machines..
              your machine has already been around for a while so any "infant mortality" issues are long past... and would expect it to give you many many years of service...

              I would also download and read/understand the manual... it is a complex machine with many setting options that can be set... pretty easy to get tangled up in conflicting settings and confuse the machine and operator..
              "Reset to Factory Defaults" can be your friend

              manual site.. plug in your serial#

              http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
              .

              *******************************************
              The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

              “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

              Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

              My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

              TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

              Comment


              • #22
                I suggested it because he said he can return it. HTP is SIMPLE to set all programs as well. Like I said, I am a Miller guy.....I have a Hobart 210mvp and had a Miller mm210 in the past as well as a dynasty and a diversion. The HTP unit, complete with watercooler and EVERYTHING needed is half the price of a Dynasty 200 Tig Runner with 20 percent more power.
                Originally posted by H80N View Post
                Would expect it to last as long or longer than one of the transformer machines..
                your machine has already been around for a while so any "infant mortality" issues are long past... and would expect it to give you many many years of service...

                I would also download and read/understand the manual... it is a complex machine with many setting options that can be set... pretty easy to get tangled up in conflicting settings and confuse the machine and operator..
                "Reset to Factory Defaults" can be your friend

                manual site.. plug in your serial#

                http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

                Comment


                • #23
                  While superficially similar.. the two machines are not comparable..

                  you are talking apples to oranges...

                  The Dynasty is more complex because it is more capable...

                  the Dynasty has become the industry standard.. that all others emulate and strive to match.. but none do...

                  sure there are lots of also rans out there... but if you want the best in that class it is the Dynasty 200DX... new or used...
                  There is a darned good reason that Dynasty owners are so fiercely loyal..

                  Cheaper is no substitute for better..
                  Last edited by H80N; 11-25-2013, 06:59 AM.
                  .

                  *******************************************
                  The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                  “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                  Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                  My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

                  TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    So support you argument? The only thing I see different/better is the remote foot pedal. HTP isn't doing it for expense reasons. HTP is openly a cheaper company to put technology in the hands of the average welder.I am just curious where you think the Dynasty outshines the HTP Invertig 221? Specifics....and remember.....$3000 vs $6000....HTP has more power and a better duty cycle as well...for the record.....I generally buy quality....sure, I can afford an entry level Mercedes but I am a Toyota guy. After spending over $1000 fixing my Dynasty my butt hurt....welded great when it was working but $1000 plus hurts..
                    Originally posted by H80N View Post
                    While superficially similar.. the two machines are not comparable..

                    you are talking apples to oranges...

                    The Dynasty is more complex because it is more capable...

                    the Dynasty has become the industry standard.. that all others emulate and strive to match.. but none do...

                    sure there are lots of also rans out there... but if you want the best in that class it is the Dynasty 200DX... new or used...
                    There is a darned good reason that Dynasty owners are so fiercely loyal..

                    Cheaper is no substitute for better..

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JerseyWelder View Post
                      So support you argument? The only thing I see different/better is the remote foot pedal. HTP isn't doing it for expense reasons. HTP is openly a cheaper company to put technology in the hands of the average welder.I am just curious where you think the Dynasty outshines the HTP Invertig 221? Specifics....and remember.....$3000 vs $6000....HTP has more power and a better duty cycle as well...for the record.....I generally buy quality....sure, I can afford an entry level Mercedes but I am a Toyota guy. After spending over $1000 fixing my Dynasty my butt hurt....welded great when it was working but $1000 plus hurts..
                      Don't get me wrong... there is room in the marketplace for that Italian built welder you are giving us the hard sell on... Not saying it is a bad machine..

                      But...

                      It aint no Dynasty...

                      ask the many many thousands of satisfied long term Dynasty users why it is the standard..??

                      ask why used Dynasty welders are so highly regarded and bring such high prices in the resale market..?? Why is it that they happily pay the price premium of a Miller Dynasty over other machines on the market.. new or used??

                      ask why so many other manufacturers compare their machine to a Dynasty..??

                      Sounds like you had a bad experience and that is too bad.. but your experience is not the norm... if it were then the Dynasty 200 would not enjoy the reputation it has earned over the last 10 years or so..
                      Last edited by H80N; 11-26-2013, 07:40 AM.
                      .

                      *******************************************
                      The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                      “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                      Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                      My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

                      TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Give me some facts. I didn't say the Dynasty was a poor quality welding machine. It has however had a bazillion problems with the boards and they are not cheap. I don't care where my welder is made. I want quality and I pay for it. I buy Toyotas because they last. Who cares if they are Japanese.I am saying that for 1/2 the price of a Dynasty you can get a comparable unit with more HP and more features with the same or better build quality. Miller has been around forever just like Lincoln, sure they are going to sell more units.....check out Toxicfab.com and tell me how his HTP welding looks.....I welded with a Dynasty 350 a couple months ago as well. Very nice but nothing my new HTP can't do besides power.....I do not shop at harbor freight but just because a welder is cheaper does not mean it is inferior. Have you ever tried one or are you just giving a one sided opinion? I weld weekly with a Miller Shopmate 300 and it welds fine but has no fine tuning and smoothness like the HTP. I also bought a Hobart 210 mvp over mm 211.....same machine but different...
                        Originally posted by H80N View Post
                        Don't get me wrong... there is room in the marketplace for that Italian built welder you are giving us the hard sell on... Not saying it is a bad machine..

                        But...

                        It aint no Dynasty...

                        ask the many many thousands of satisfied long term Dynasty users why it is the standard..??

                        ask why used Dynasty welders are so highly regarded and bring such high prices in the resale market..?? Why is it that they happily pay the price premium of a Miller Dynasty over other machines on the market.. new or used??

                        ask why so many other manufacturers compare their machine to a Dynasty..??

                        Sounds like you had a bad experience and that is too bad.. but your experience is not the norm... if it were then the Dynasty 200 would not enjoy the reputation it has earned over the last 10 years or so..

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by JerseyWelder View Post
                          Give me some facts. I didn't say the Dynasty was a poor quality welding machine. It has however had a bazillion problems with the boards and they are not cheap. I don't care where my welder is made. I want quality and I pay for it. I buy Toyotas because they last. Who cares if they are Japanese.I am saying that for 1/2 the price of a Dynasty you can get a comparable unit with more HP and more features with the same or better build quality. Miller has been around forever just like Lincoln, sure they are going to sell more units.....check out Toxicfab.com and tell me how his HTP welding looks.....I welded with a Dynasty 350 a couple months ago as well. Very nice but nothing my new HTP can't do besides power.....I do not shop at harbor freight but just because a welder is cheaper does not mean it is inferior. Have you ever tried one or are you just giving a one sided opinion? I weld weekly with a Miller Shopmate 300 and it welds fine but has no fine tuning and smoothness like the HTP. I also bought a Hobart 210 mvp over mm 211.....same machine but different...
                          On a side note. (I think you have good insight into different machines) Do you have the Shopmate 300 DX setup for Mig welding? I am interested in that aspect of that machine.. I welded just a bit with one in 2007, but it had a 8vs feeder on it, and I would of preferred using it with a cable control feeder. I can pick one up for $2,200.00 (New) and my Lincoln feeder will bolt right up to it. (have a factory Miller to Lincoln 14 pin) The Lincoln feeder is both 42/24 volt, so it works on most Thermal-arc/Esab/Miller and Lincoln machines.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            No, I only use it for tig with an HF box and water cooler.
                            Originally posted by Scott V View Post
                            On a side note. (I think you have good insight into different machines) Do you have the Shopmate 300 DX setup for Mig welding? I am interested in that aspect of that machine.. I welded just a bit with one in 2007, but it had a 8vs feeder on it, and I would of preferred using it with a cable control feeder. I can pick one up for $2,200.00 (New) and my Lincoln feeder will bolt right up to it. (have a factory Miller to Lincoln 14 pin) The Lincoln feeder is both 42/24 volt, so it works on most Thermal-arc/Esab/Miller and Lincoln machines.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Pretty good thread over on WW on

                              "Miller 200DX or HTP 221"

                              http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...0DX-or-HTP-221

                              Some interesting points are brought up on both sides..

                              but for my money.. ..it is the Dynasty ..Hands Down..

                              Last edited by H80N; 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM.
                              .

                              *******************************************
                              The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                              “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                              Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                              My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                              Millermatic 200

                              TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I bet you'd reconsider if u stopped by and tried my 221 out....
                                Originally posted by H80N View Post
                                Pretty good thread over on WW on

                                "Miller 200DX or HTP 221"

                                http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...0DX-or-HTP-221

                                Some interesting points are brought up on both sides..

                                but for my money.. ..it is the Dynasty ..Hands Down..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X