Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Baking' Rods

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Baking' Rods

I have about 20# of 6011 and 6013 1/4" rods that seem to be damp. They were just not stored properly but are not wet.

Can I 'bake' them in a oven to make sure they are dry and then store properly??

Thanks guys

Don't bake, just dry them out in the house.

Comment

If you do. They will stink the house up and if 6010 6011 I don't know how they will react. I dried out a box of 7024 and had trouble with cracked flux.

Comment

"dry them in the house" meaning in a slightly warm oven or just in front of a furnace vent or simply dehumidify?

Comment

You can "gently " bake them if they got wet

I supposed the question is how damp exactly did the rods get , If they got so wet that the flux is gooey mud , than you should probably pitch them. If you can still pull individual rods out without the flux coming off or sticking to the other rods, bake them. 6011 is a great deep penetration rod, the coating actually functions with a small percentage moisture content. if memory serves me correctly i read between 4 - 7 %. If they are too dry they dont burn as well and, you may notice they are not as quite as penetrating as the metal transfers across the arc. At trade school we were often advised to open a new box of rods and then leave them in the cabinet and in the presence of regular air , so that they would absorb some of the moisture. This makes a marked difference in how aggressively the rod digs as you weld. I also know that you can use this rod and 6010 as well soaking wet with high amperage as a cutting rod. Works great for demolition work. The 6013 should be stored in similiar conditions. I would bake them in the rod oven, or spread them out on a cookie sheet in your household oven and bake at at least 220 degrees for a couple hours , them package them again. Too much humidity in any rods is not good, Check for funky discoloration/mold and any obvious things that dont look right.

Comment

Recommendations courtesy of Lincoln:Redrying Conditions - Non-Low Hydrogen Stick Electrodes

Stick Electrode

Electrode Group

Final Redrying Temperature

Time

E6010: Fleetweld 5P, 5P+
            E6011: Fleetweld 35, 35LS, 180
            E7010-A1: SA-85(1)
            E7010-G: SA-HYP+(1)
            E8010-G: SA-70+(1), SA-80(1)
            E9010-G: SA-90(1)

Fast Freeze - excessive moisture is indicated by a noisy arc and high spatter, rusty core wire at the holder end or objectionable coating blisters while welding.

Re-baking of this group of stick electrodes is not recommended.

Not Recommended

N/A

E7024: Jetweld 1, 3
            E6027: Jetweld 2

Fast Fill - excessive moisture is indicated by a noisy or "digging" arc, high spatter, tight slag, or undercut. Pre-dry unusually damp electrodes for 30 - 45 minutes at 200F to 230F (90 - 110C) before final drying to minimize cracking of the coating.

400 to 500F (200to 260C)

30 - 45 minutes

E6012: Fleetweld 7
            E6013: Fleetweld 37
            E7014: Fleetweld 47
            E6022: Fleetweld 22
            Fill Freeze - Excessive moisture is indicated by a noisy or "digging" arc, high spatter, tight slag or undercut. Pre-dry unusually damp electrodes for 30 - 45 minutes at 200 - 230F (90 - 110C) before final drying to minimize cracking of the coating

300 to 350F (150 to 180C)

20 - 30 minutes

(1) Pre-dry for 1 to 2 hours. This will minimize the tendency for coating cracks or oxidation of the alloys in the coating.

As you can see 6011 re-bake is not recommended 6013 can be done. Again depends on what your welding if its not critical and the rods are not rusty/flaking I'd dry them(6011) in a dry ( low humidity) area in the house and see how they perform.---Meltedmetal

Comment

In my case some dummy (me) left the rods sitting in the cardboard box on top of the welder in the unheated garage for a couple years. Now if you can actually strike an arc you cant really weld with it. I bought a new box and they work great. I was concerned something was wrong with the welder but now I know it's the rods. Id like to salvage them if I can.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.