Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Vintage Performance Drop Off

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Vintage Performance Drop Off

Hey guys,

I have a question. First understand what I do not know about welders and welding would fill volumes and volumes.

I have a Miller VINTAGE welder running 220 from a house line. There is maybe a 50' extension cord from the meter to the machine.

I start to weld and I can get some good bacon sounds going but maybe 3-5 minutes into welding it seems like the voltage drops or something goes awry. It just seems like it's strength drops off.

Is there a name for this and is there a part inside I can change to try to fix it?

TIA!

Artisan

Originally posted by .Artisan. View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a question. First understand what I do not know about welders and welding would fill volumes and volumes.

I have a Miller VINTAGE welder running 220 from a house line. There is maybe a 50' extension cord from the meter to the machine.

I start to weld and I can get some good bacon sounds going but maybe 3-5 minutes into welding it seems like the voltage drops or something goes awry. It just seems like it's strength drops off.

Is there a name for this and is there a part inside I can change to try to fix it?

TIA!

Artisan
    What gauge is the extention cord ?

........Norm

Comment

100% likely its the gun, try replacing the liner first.

Comment

I recently had a loose screw on one of the terminals on one of my cords.

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
          What gauge is the extention cord ?

........Norm
          Norm it is a Yellow heavy x-tension cord. The OD of the cord is 9/16" .

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
            100% likely its the gun, try replacing the liner first.
            The liner was replaced in recent past, what would you suggest 2nd?

Comment

Norm it is a Yellow heavy x-tension cord. The OD of the cord is 9/16" .
              Does the cord or plug get warm?

Comment

The liner was replaced in recent past, what would you suggest 2nd?
                Liner can be ruined the day it is installed. Pull it and check it out.

Comment

Liner, tip, or plugged wire guide to the drive rolls, especially if you using a absolutely useless lubricated wire felt cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.