Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermal Arc Fabricator 252i

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey now fellas. Settle down. Lol I didn't mean to cause an argument here. I appreciate all the input and support that's here. This forum is a wealth of knowledge with great folks that's willing to share what they have experienced?. Most everything is comprised of many components from around the world. Its today's way of trade. I pull tractors, I use Cummins as the base for my power plants. there's certainly a group of parts that I specify that I start off with and a lot of those parts aren't made here in the states, some of them are. Can I call my engine "made in the USA" when I'm using a Great Britain block, china liners, us rods, crank, pistons? Why not? It was built in my shop with some offshore components after I modified them. Now I'd like to see everything made here in the states. We have the resources and technology but we don't have the cost of labor or manufacturing down where others have it. The little Chinese guy that built the board in my new welder has a couple kids, a wife, house, cat (if they haven't eaten it yet) and may very well take the same pride in his job that I do building a engine. Our government has put the squeeze on my public job that I work 7-330. Over 700 coal miners got pink slips in the past 3 days due to EPA and government regulations. Its costing more to get it out of the ground than its worth now. I traveled up into Pittsburgh area awhile back along the Ohio river. When you get up into the northern panhandle of West Virginia on north it was an industrial giant. Steel mills galore, fab shops every where, machine shops, anything that everything had to do with built or made in the USA and boomed at one point in time. 90% of it is rusting away, sitting Idle, jobs lost, cold furnaces, torn down coke plants, the list goes on. Made entirely in the USA doesn't exist anymore. Its sad. You gotta swallow it and go on.

Comment

Originally posted by sledsports View Post
      Hey now fellas. Settle down. Lol I didn't mean to cause an argument here. I appreciate all the input and support that's here. This forum is a wealth of knowledge with great folks that's willing to share what they have experienced?. Most everything is comprised of many components from around the world. Its today's way of trade. I pull tractors, I use Cummins as the base for my power plants. there's certainly a group of parts that I specify that I start off with and a lot of those parts aren't made here in the states, some of them are. Can I call my engine "made in the USA" when I'm using a Great Britain block, china liners, us rods, crank, pistons? Why not? It was built in my shop with some offshore components after I modified them. Now I'd like to see everything made here in the states. We have the resources and technology but we don't have the cost of labor or manufacturing down where others have it. The little Chinese guy that built the board in my new welder has a couple kids, a wife, house, cat (if they haven't eaten it yet) and may very well take the same pride in his job that I do building a engine. Our government has put the squeeze on my public job that I work 7-330. Over 700 coal miners got pink slips in the past 3 days due to EPA and government regulations. Its costing more to get it out of the ground than its worth now. I traveled up into Pittsburgh area awhile back along the Ohio river. When you get up into the northern panhandle of West Virginia on north it was an industrial giant. Steel mills galore, fab shops every where, machine shops, anything that everything had to do with built or made in the USA and boomed at one point in time. 90% of it is rusting away, sitting Idle, jobs lost, cold furnaces, torn down coke plants, the list goes on. Made entirely in the USA doesn't exist anymore. Its sad. You gotta swallow it and go on.
      Thank You.....

Exceptionally well put..!!..

BTW... I was serious about looking into a used MM200... a good solid machine.. reasonable on the used market...

Comment

Well that's good to know! I'll refrain from drooling as bad and keep it in the back of my mind. I'm going to go ahead with the thermal arc unit regardless of where its made or built. At least its not a longevity or everlast and I won't even look their way.

Comment

Thermal Arc Fabricator 252i

I run a welding training program on the west coast, we have three of the 252's. One has a problem with the process selection portion of the machine. It will reset amperage to 230amps, no so good when putting a root pass in. Machine can be reset by pressing process selector button until smaw comes back around

The only other problem we have is duty cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by benweldingawhile View Post
            IThe only other problem we have is duty cycle.
            Could you elaborate on that??

Comment

Originally posted by benweldingawhile View Post
              I run a welding training program on the west coast, we have three of the 252's. One has a problem with the process selection portion of the machine. It will reset amperage to 230amps, no so good when putting a root pass in. Machine can be reset by pressing process selector button until smaw comes back around

The only other problem we have is duty cycle.
              Put this one under a new topic, too confusing otherwise. Pretty simple solution though.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                Put this one under a new topic, too confusing otherwise. Pretty simple solution though.
                Why change topics??... seems to be right on subject...

it is regarding the 252i isn't it??

Comment

changed my direction.

Thinking more along the lines of a xmt 350 and a 74 feeder now. Probably suit me better.

Comment

Originally posted by sledsports View Post
                    Thinking more along the lines of a xmt 350 and a 74 feeder now. Probably suit me better.
                    That should get it done....Handily.... with Amps and duty cycle to spare...
                    Last edited by H80N; 11-26-2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Thermal arc are made in Japan, good machines but not as reputable and good selling as Miller welders, and there must be reason for that, right folks?
                      On the end this is a Miller forum and it should be for the Miller machines.

Comment

Japan??.. Not anymore..China

Originally posted by iliyahamovic View Post
                        Thermal arc are made in Japan, good machines but not as reputable and good selling as Miller welders, and there must be reason for that, right folks?
                        On the end this is a Miller forum and it should be for the Miller machines.
                        FYI.... In the PAST... Thermal Arc Inverter TIG machines like the TA185 and TA200 WERE made by Sanrex in Japan... these days their machines are a new generation, new design and made largely in China...

INCLUDING THE 252i

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...n-america-quot

If it does not matter to you.... fine..... if it does.. Be Aware...
                        Last edited by H80N; 11-27-2013, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I really don't think it really matters as to where a machine is made anymore, as most parts DO NOT Originate in the USA anyways. I see parts in machines, that are made in Italy, France, Poland, China, Japan, Canada. Lincoln Engine drives for instance are now all made in Canada. Lincoln Tigs are made in Poland now. Millers are made all over the place as well. Have to keep costs down, makes the end user happy. Then complains that its not 100% made in the States, but refuses to pay double or triple $.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                            I really don't think it really matters as to where a machine is made anymore, as most parts DO NOT Originate in the USA anyways. I see parts in machines, that are made in Italy, France, Poland, China, Japan, Canada. Lincoln Engine drives for instance are now all made in Canada. Lincoln Tigs are made in Poland now. Millers are made all over the place as well. Have to keep costs down, makes the end user happy. Then complains that its not 100% made in the States, but refuses to pay double or triple $.
                            Sure.....

Where things are made is important to some.. while others can give a hoot...

And yet others break out in a rash, get downright testy and hostile when a light is shined on where a particular welder or brand is built...

Interesting Phenomenon..

Comment

99% of the the steel toed boots to your hard hat are made over seas. I don't see anyone at Work Warehouse checking to see where the items are made. Same for the truck, or car parts. It's sad but true

I went to Jamaica, and those vendors seling those wooden turtles, wooden cups and such are all made with a cnc, in wait for it....... CHINA
                              Last edited by cruizer; 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

where was your cell phone made????? where was your computer made????? to my mind, it is not so important where things are made, but where they are engineered and who is controlling and directing the manufacturing. My limited experience with Thermal Arc has been for the most part positive, my mucho experience with Miller, over the years, not so positive.

Advancing or creating new opportunities for Americans doesn't happen by supporting or subsidizing mindless, low wage, low skilled jobs. If the Chinese can or anybody else can do it cheaper, LET THEM!!!!!!! I mean, how much brains do it take to hook up part "a" to part "b".

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.