Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

aluminum welding please

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum welding please

I am interested in a miller 211, the manufacturer states it WILL weld up to 3/8 aluminum with the spool gun, is this true my dealer says NO?
    It is a 160 amp machine with I think a 100 amp spool gun, but miller claims it will do 3/8, you guys know, will it do that aluminum at 3/8 max?

It will do 1/4 fine thats what I done so far with no issues and good penetration. My only issue is I melt up the tips quite a bit .but thats either me or the spool gun overheating.
    Last edited by eecervantes83; 11-04-2013, 11:26 PM.

Comment

That is the rating for a single pass weld. Pre heat, joint prep, and multiple passes can accomplish more if the operator knows what he/she is doing.

That said, I wouldn't buy a 211 with the spoolmate 100 and expect to blast 3/8 aluminum all day everyday. It's not made to handle that. If that is what you need, a 252/251 with a 30a would suite you better.

Comment

aluminum welding please

I definitely agree with Cgotto6, I work mostly with 1/4" thick materials so I always try to buy a machine that can double that. I almost never have to worry about duty cycle or running the machine too hard. As long as I have $$$ to do so lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
          That is the rating for a single pass weld. Pre heat, joint prep, and multiple passes can accomplish more if the operator knows what he/she is doing.

That said, I wouldn't buy a 211 with the spoolmate 100 and expect to blast 3/8 aluminum all day everyday. It's not made to handle that. If that is what you need, a 252/251 with a 30a would suite you better.
          I second that

Comment

3/8 Alum

Ditto all of the above

In saying this we have 350 amp machines running .064" wire and we squeak by doing fillets welds on 3/8" plate, 1 pass. It eats up the contact tips and nozzles though.

If we wanted to make welding 3/8" easy we would use water-cooled guns and 1/16 wire.

We will do fillets on 1/4" in 1 pass no problem

Butts welds on 1/4" and 3/8 are multi-pass.

Comment

Originally posted by jtlikestobuild View Post
              Ditto all of the above

In saying this we have 350 amp machines running .064" wire and we squeak by doing fillets welds on 3/8" plate, 1 pass. It eats up the contact tips and nozzles though.

If we wanted to make welding 3/8" easy we would use water-cooled guns and 1/16 wire.

We will do fillets on 1/4" in 1 pass no problem

Butts welds on 1/4" and 3/8 are multi-pass.
              What machine do you have? My 350P eats 1/2" for lunch. And I run 3/64" wire. In fact the 350P-aluminum welds it even better.

Try 75/25 Argon/Helium for cover gas, 5356 which burns hotter due to the mag, and apply "Loctite SF 7900 Ceramic Shield for Welding" to the nozzle and tip to keep them clean.

That being said, to the OP, I would not depend on the 211 to do what you want. I would step up to the millermatic252 or equivelent with run-in control, which is so very important.
              Last edited by shovelon; 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.