Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popping

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping

When using my mig welder it seems to let the wire out ok until I start to weld. But when I start to weld it starts to pop all over the place and pushes the tip up and down and burns holes all in the metal I have the wire speed and amps set right but it still will not weld right. Can someone please tell me how I can get it to let wire out smoothly when welding. I have even tried to replace the liner in the hose and I am using the right polarity.

Slow your wire speed down it can't burn fast as its coming out or that's what has happened to me . I'm talking about the wire hitting the metal and kind of pushing back up it bumpy.
    Last edited by Kpack; 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Machine?
      Settings?
      Solid wire or Fluxcore?

Comment

Popping

Check your wire spool. I had the same issue a while back and it was the way the wire was wound on the spool. It was looped around in such a way that it was tightening the wire on the spool. So it would weld fine for a while the spit and sputter.

Comment

Popping

Ck ground, make sure good clean contact also ck ground clamp make sure it has good clean wire to clamp connection & not loose.
          This can also cause same type problem.

Comment

It sounds like you would have done this already, but check the tip. Make sure your spool tension is not too tight, and make sure the drive roller tension is tight enough. If your welding flux core, are you using knurled drive rolls?

Comment

what brand and model are you using

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.