Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

back purge

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back purge

can you all show someone how to back purge a bucket to repair the pin holes in the bottom. And what all is needed to do so.

what kind of bucket???

Comment

stainless

the bucket is stainless

Comment

back purge

Cover the open end with say cardboard taped to it with the argon hose going in and some kind of small opening at the top. Argon is heavier than air so as long as the vent is at the top it will work

Comment

A question on back purging SS. Is it OK to use nitrogen for the back purge. Thanks!

Comment

back purge

We used nitrogen all the time at my previous employer. I believe it was cheaper than argon. Just make a small hole in the cardboard about 1/8 to 1/4 in diameter for the gas pressure to escape. Make sure you have the cardboard fastened really good. I would purge it really good and set the flow meter at about 5 to 7 lbs as you weld. If the weld starts to blow out at you, stop and either make the relief hole bigger or lower the purge gas pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaweld View Post
              We used nitrogen all the time at my previous employer. . . .
              Thanks! I have N2 in my car tires so have to get set up to "air" them up. So I'll be basically set.

Comment

A research paper on Nitrogen purging from the AWS site: http://www.aws.org/wj/supplement/WJ_1975_01_s12.pdf

Looks OK for Nitrogen.

Comment

thinks for all the info it worked great for me

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.