Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running a 211 Millermatic off of a generator

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a 211 Millermatic off of a generator

Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some help. I purchased a 211 3 years ago and love the machine. I bought a new place and trying to do some light welding on a gate. No power at the gate location so I fired up a portable generator to power the 211. The welder runs but won't advance wire or arc. With house power welder works fine. Generator voltage comes in at 140v. Any ideas on what's going on? Just need to weld a couple of tabs on the gate posts before I have shoulder surgery. Thanks Larry

You didn't state what size generator

Comment

Sorry, it's a 3500 watt 120v. Larry

Comment

Check to make sure that the switch on the front is set for the regular mig gun and not the Spoolgun.

Comment

Originally posted by High2 View Post
          Sorry, it's a 3500 watt 120v. Larry
          That should be enough power but your 140v at the receptacle is really high

Comment

From reading posts on using generators with welding machines it must be ran on high idle at all times .

Looking in the manual you need at least a 20 amp circuit with 110 volt plug. Is yours a 20 amp ?

Comment

110vac x 20amp = 2200 watts. Should be good to run on the 110vac side which would be fine for 1/8" steel no problem. Did you try again in the shop or idle the genny up to make sure it was ready to go? Also probe the generator output to verify voltage and ac frequency?

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                That should be enough power but your 140v at the receptacle is really high
                Voltage is to high at 140.

Comment

I've tried everything that I can think of. Like I said the welder runs but won't advance wire when the trigger is pulled. Unplug and connect to shore power, everything is fine. The 140v is too high, maybe a built in safety in the welders circuitry. Larry

Comment

Did you check the Gun selector switch ?

Comment

I have a 180 Miller and welded off a generator. The genny was a 6500W Generac and I was using the 220 plug. I could weld but no more than about 3/4 to an inch at a time as the generator would pull down really bad and no longer power the arc.

Comment

For some reason I seem to like the 211 on 220v. The 110 option just seems different.

Ran it on 110v on a very low setting, thin sheet and still changed it over to 220v after a few minutes. Perhaps it just me not learning it enough on 110v.

Last job it ran great on 60' plus, 12/3 cord off a generator on the 220v side.

I know, who would rig up for 220v on 12/3. Been working great for light jobs.

Comment

The outlet on the generator could be junk, replacing the outlet would be my first try.

Comment

Two other possibilities - one, the 140 volts is too high and may be tricking the MVP circuit into thinking it's getting 230 volts.

Two, if that 3500 watts is the LARGER of two ratings genny's usually show, it's SURGE watts and CONTINUOUS watts would be more in the range of 2500 watts.

Three ( I lied :=) you either have a crap generator (140 volts??!?) or a crap meter. I'd check to see which... Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.