Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting MM to inches

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting MM to inches

In my steel book it says 1 MM dec. equivalent is .0394 when I x that x 100 I come up with 3.94 but the book says 100 MM is actually 3.937

The decimal equivalent for 100 MM is 3.937 so when I devide that x 100 I get .03937

If I take .03937 x say 78 MM I come up with 3.07086 but the book says its actually 3.0709

What am I missing.

Converting MM to inches

The fact that they are rounding

Comment

Simply rounded the last few decimal places to keep it simple. Unless you are measuring precision machined parts there is no need to be exact down to the 4th decimal place.

Comment

They are rounding up. What are you doing that requires that level of accuracy? That difference is well within the tolerances for cold rolled steel in my information.---Meltedmetal

Comment

The chart is rounding to the nearest 10-thousandth inch.1 MM = .03937 but it is rounded to .0394 for the chart"If I take .03937 x say 78 MM I come up with 3.07086 but the book says its actually 3.0709"Again, this is due to the chart being rounded to 4 decimal places - your 3.07086 rounds to 3.0709.The chart at http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm says for greater accuracy when converting MM to IN - divide MM by 25.4. So, in your example (78 MM to IN) -- 78 / 25.4 = 3.07086614173 (which would be rounded to 3.0709 in your chart)

Comment

Use .039371 for decimal/millimeter equivalent.

100 X .039371 = 3.9371.

78 X .039371 = 3.070938

Comment

Thanks guys, Yea I finally realized that, I'm just not used to rounding up and was surprised that alro steel did.

When they were teaching us the metric system 30 plus years ago they should have stuck with it.

Comment

inches to mm= multiply by 25.4

mm to inches= divide by 25.4

For most shop work, that is close enough.

Comment

converting mm to in, etc.

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                  Thanks guys, Yea I finally realized that, I'm just not used to rounding up and was surprised that alro steel did.

When they were teaching us the metric system 30 plus years ago they should have stuck with it.
                  To get an answer without any loss of precision simply open up Google. In the search area type in, for example, 100 mm in inches. It has a built in calculator and will display 3.93701. You can, of course, also go from inches to mm. For example, type in 3 inches in mm and you'll get 76.2.

You can convert light years into yards, or fathoms into furlongs. Try it. It will do any conversion!

Comment

Buy a metric tape measure,,, ha

Comment

I have an app on my phone that is a unit converter. Very handy. I can convert any measure of a unit and transfer it to another with a button. Free too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                        Buy a metric tape measure,,, ha
                        Or, as my instructor did when I was back in machinist school-refuse to deal with metric! Kind of a waste anyway-you can't hold those kind of tolerances with the distortion. Oops!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.